How to check multiple cells

  1. #1
    Sharon Mann
    Guest

    How to check multiple cells

    First, thanks to pdberger and Ron Rosenfeld for my earlier question. This is
    sort of the opposite problem:

    On Sheet1, starting with A1 is a 2 column table:

    Standby -
    Minimum -
    Moderate X
    Full -

    On Sheet2 I want to enter a string of text in a cell if ANY of the cells in
    Sheet1!B1 to B4 contain an "X". If none of the cells contain the "X", then I
    want to enter nothing ("").

    Any takers? Thanks in advance!

    Sharon

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: How to check multiple cells

    Hi Sharon

    One way
    =IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!B1:B4,"X")>0,"yourtext","")

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Sharon Mann
    Guest

    Re: How to check multiple cells

    Thanks, Roger! I've never used COUNTIF. Cool!

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How to check multiple cells

    Debra Dalgleish has a bunch of notes about counting cells at:
    http://contextures.com/xlFunctions04.html