Goal Seek

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Goal Seek

    Is there a way to "copy" Goal Seek acroos multiple rows?

    Hourly Current New New
    Rate Comp Rate Compensation
    16.00 727.27 15.55675 727.27
    16.00 727.27 15.55 727.00
    17.00 772.73 105.00
    15.26 693.75 105.00
    16.00 727.27 105.00
    16.50 750.00 105.00

    The cells under the column labled New Compensation has a different formula
    than the cells under the column labled Current Comp. I want to calculate a
    new rate so that the New Compensation would be equal to the Current Comp by
    changing the cells under the column labled New Rate.

    I have used Goal Seek in the first row. However this spreadsheet is several
    hundred lines long and useing Goal Seek is not practical. Is there a way to
    copy the goal seek funtion across multiple rows or is these a formula which
    could be written?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Goal Seek

    Hi Mike,

    In general, you should be able to get your formula to work "the other way
    around".
    Second option is to record a macro while you goal seek the first line and
    then change that to do the same for each line.
    If you can write your formula in VBA, I could post a Function which iterates
    that formula so you can enter a "goal seek" on each row.

    But first of all, what are your formulas and how do they relate to each
    other (IOW how did you Goal seek?)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    Re: Goal Seek

    Could I send you the worksheet? I think it wold be easier that way.

  4. #4
    Ashish Mathur
    Guest

    RE: Goal Seek

    Hi,

    May i suggest a quick and dirty way of reducing your work - use the solver
    add in available in Excel.

    How it would work is that you add 5 rows of the cells in both the "Current
    comp" and "New Comp" column and take the difference between them. Now one
    condition in the Solver will be that this difference will be 0. The other 5
    conditions will be that each cell of "Current comp" will be equal to the
    corresponding cell under "New comp".

    As stated, this is a crude way of doing it but it can save you the trouble
    of goal seeking cell by cell.

    Please go through the help available on the Help menu to understand more
    about this.

    Also, could you mail me the file please.