Change "interface" language?

  1. #1
    nisse
    Guest

    Change "interface" language?

    Hi,

    I'm using the Swedish version of MS Excel (2003), and I just realized that
    it does not understand english names for the functions (such as #IF, #SUM
    etc), instead I have to write them in Swedish.

    Well, this is really annoying since I'm learning Excel formulas from an
    english book and each time I want to test the book examples I have to figure
    out the swedish "function names".

    So, my question: Is it possible to change the current language (Swedish) to
    English (so that I can use english function names)?

    Cheers,
    Mikael

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Change "interface" language?

    Hi Mikael,

    I don't think so, but you can trick it to find out.

    If you go into the VB IDE (Alt-F11), and open the Immediate Window (Ctrl-G),
    and in there type say

    Activecell.Formula = "=SUM(A1,B3,C10)"

    and then go back to Excel and voila (or whatever the Swedish is), you will
    see the Swedish equivalent.

    Not thet my formula includes commas. You have to do this in VBA even if you
    use semi-colons in your Excel.

    Here are a few to get you started

    ABS ABS
    AND OCH
    AVERAGE MEDEL
    CEILING RUNDA.UPP
    CELL CELL
    CHAR TECKENKOD
    CHOOSE VÄLJ
    COLUMN KOLUMN
    COLUMNS KOLUMNER
    COUNT ANTAL
    COUNTA ANTALV
    COUNTBLANK ANTAL.TOMMA
    COUNTIF ANTAL.OM
    DATE DATUM
    DATEDIF DATEDIF
    DATESTRING DATESTRING
    DATEVALUE DATUMVÄRDE
    DAY DAG
    EVEN JÄMN
    EXACT EXAKT
    EXP EXP
    FACT FAKULTET
    FALSE FALSKT
    FIND HITTA
    FLOOR RUNDA.NER
    FREQUENCY FREKVENS
    HLOOKUP LETAKOLUMN
    HOUR TIMME
    IF OM
    INDEX INDEX
    INDIRECT INDIREKT
    ISERR ÄRF
    ISERROR ÄRFEL
    ISEVEN ÄRJÄMN
    ISNUMBER ÄRTAL
    ISODD ÄRUDDA
    LARGE STÖRSTA
    LEFT VÄNSTER
    LEN LÄNGD
    LOOKUP LETAUPP
    LOWER GEMENER
    MATCH PASSA
    MAX MAX
    MID EXTEXT
    MIN MIN
    MINUTE MINUT
    MOD REST
    MONTH MÅNAD
    NA SAKNAS
    NETWORKDAYS NETTOARBETSDAGAR
    NOMINAL NOMRÄNTA
    NOT ICKE
    NOW NU
    ODD UDDA
    OFFSET FÖRSKJUTNING
    OR ELLER
    PROPER INITIAL
    RAND SLUMP
    RANDBETWEEN SLUMP.MELLAN
    RANK RANG
    REPLACE ERSÄTT
    RIGHT HÖGER
    ROUNDDOWN AVRUNDA.NEDÅT
    ROUNDUP AVRUNDA.UPPÅT
    ROW RAD
    ROWS RADER
    SEARCH SÖK
    SECOND SEKUND
    SMALL MINSTA
    SUBSTITUTE BYT.UT
    SUBTOTAL DELSUMMA
    SUM SUMMA
    SUMIF SUMMA.OM
    SUMPRODUCT PRODUKTSUMMA
    TEXT TEXT
    TIME KLOCKSLAG
    TIMEVALUE TIDVÄRDE
    TODAY IDAG
    TRIM RENSA
    TRUE SANT
    UPPER VERSALER
    VALUE TEXTNUM
    VLOOKUP LETARAD
    WEEKDAY VECKODAG
    WEEKNUM VECKONR
    WORKDAY ARBETSDAGAR
    YEAR ÅR

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    nisse
    Guest

    Re: Change "interface" language?

    Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your help. It works fine but it's quite time consuming (although
    I'll probably end up learning the translations as I go by).

    However, I'm leaning towards the possibility to exchange the swedish version
    for an english version.

    Question is: Do I have to purchase the English version or is there a
    LANGUAGE PACK that I can download (and presumably use to change interface
    language)?

    Kindly,
    Mikael

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Change "interface" language?

    There is an Office 2003 Editions Multilingual User Interface Pac
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/edit...ilability.mspx
    But it seems it only comes with a couple of English language versionbs of
    Office.