cumulative total

  1. #1

    cumulative total

    ok,

    heres what i am trying to do now, lol.

    Take two cells one will be the projection say 10
    the other will be actual say 9
    can excel tell me that equals -1 ?
    i mean minus one from the projection not a negative number
    and if so then can it cumulative totals of that ?
    say i have projections in different cells ex: 9,10,11,12
    the actual numbers below would be 9,11,8,10
    so the formula needs to tell me first one is qual second plus 1 third minus 3 forth plus 2 and so forth and once it gives me those then total them in colum so would total minus 4?

    sorry hard to explain

    TIA

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Assuming your projections are in A1:A4 and actuals in B1:B4. In C1 enter

    =(B1-A1) and copy down to C4. This will return the values (I used your posted data) of 0,1,-3,-2. In C5 then SUM(C1:C4) which returns the -4.

    Does that help?

    Steve

  3. #3
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    RE: cumulative total

    Can they be seperated into seperate colums? if so, it should be easy
    (assuming the same number of columns everytime.)

    9 10 11 12
    9 11 8 10
    0 1 -3 -2 -4

    Formula for A3 is =A2-A1 copied to B3 through D3. And then formula for E3 is
    =SUM(A3:D3)

    If they needed to be in just one cell seperated by commas, it might be
    doable, but probably wouldn't be easy, especially if the count of numbers
    varied. Somebody could probably come up with a formula to do it, but it
    would probably be able to do with VBA.

    --
    Kevin Vaughn

  4. #4
    Thanks, Kevin and Steve

    Thats what I need but my problem is like you mentioned kevin in E4 it gives the correct whole total but i need to keep a running total for each cell so in other words one cell will say its minus 1 for that or whatever and the next might be plus 2 ok under those in another cell can it give me the running total of the plus 2 minus 2 or whatever the actual numbers are ?

  5. #5
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: cumulative total

    I'm not sure I understand what you want, but I took a shot anyway. If this
    is what you mean:

    9 10 11 12
    9 11 8 10
    0 1 -3 -2 -4
    0 1 -2 -4
    then the formulae in the 4th row are: for A4: =A3
    For the rest: =A4+B3 (and copied across)

    Kevin Vaughn

  6. #6
    Kevin Vaughn

  7. #7
    yes that was exactly what i meant! Thanksssssss

  8. #8
    Kevin Vaughn
    Guest

    Re: cumulative total