When autofilling I would like to change worksheets rather than cel

  1. #1
    tomsmithers
    Guest

    When autofilling I would like to change worksheets rather than cel

    I would like to use a function to create a sumamry sheet from a number of
    worksheets in a work book.

    I would like to create a single worksheet with references to the same cell
    (i.e A3) but on different worksheets throughout the book.

    Therefore rather than keepng the worksheet absolute when autofilling, I
    would like to keep the cell range absolute (easy enough by using $) and
    instruct autofill to pickup a different worksheet for each cell it fills
    accross.

  2. #2
    Gizmo63
    Guest

    RE: When autofilling I would like to change worksheets rather than cel

    There may be a better way but this could work:

    Assume a list of all worksheet names in cells A1-A4 and you want your
    answers in cells B1-B4. Enter the formula in cell B1 and copy down. Each cell
    in col B will show the value by sheet for cell C7 (row and column - 7 & 3 -
    in the formula)

    Sheet 1 =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(7,3,,,A1))
    Sheet 2
    Sheet 3
    Sheet 4

    Hope this helps - Giz

  3. #3
    Forum Expert
    Waikato, New Zealand
    MS-Off Ver
    2010 @ work & 2007 @ home
    Posts
    2,243
    hi Tom
    This is similar to the solution posted by Gizmo but incorprates a way of copying your formula across the sheet ie answers in cells C1 to F3 rather than B1 to B4.

    First create a list of the sheet names in cell A1 downwards on a sheet. There are many ways of quickly doing this if you are familiar with macros eg try Googling "list of sheet names" or the VBE help shows the following code:

    Set newSheet = Sheets.Add(Type:=xlWorksheet)
    For i = 1 To Sheets.Count
    newSheet.Cells(i, 1).Value = Sheets(i).Name
    Next i

    Once you have the list enter the following in column C & copy across as many rows as you have sheets:

    =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(3,1,1,,INDIRECT("A"&COLUMN()-2)))

    The "-2" next to the column function is needed if the answers are to start in column C (ie col C - 2 = col A or = 1) & increments the reference down a row for each column your formula is pasted across. If you were to start in column B it would need to be "-1" etc.
    (adapted from http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel_copy_across.htm)

    hth
    Rob Brockett
    NZ
    Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...