Subtotal the median

  1. #1
    Terri
    Guest

    Subtotal the median

    I would like to set up a subtotal that generates the median of a range of
    numbers (with blanks not included)

    Example:
    Title Salary
    Director Information Technology $85,000
    Director Information Technology $95,000
    Director Information Technology $105,000
    Director Information Technology
    Director Human Resources $65,000
    Director Human Resources $75,000
    Director Human Resources $85,000
    Director Human Resources $95,000
    Director Human Resources $105,000
    Director Human Resources

    I will be subtotalling "at the change" in each Title and counting how many
    Salaries were reported (3 total count for Director Information Technology and
    5 total count for Director Human Resources ).

    Then I want to subtotal "at the change" in each Title and generate the
    median Salary.
    Director Information Technology Median = $95,000
    Director Human Resources Median = $85,000

    Anyone know how to write this? Ultimately I would like to drop the custom
    formula into a pivot table.

    Thank you in advance - Terri

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Subtotal the median

    I'd apply the Count function to both the title and salary. Then select the
    Salary column and perform a find/replace, changing "SUBTOTAL(3," to "MEDIAN(".
    (Alternately, I might stick with the count on the salary field, then filter
    so that only the subtotals are shown and use the offset function with the
    median function.)
    --Bruce