Weekday

  1. #1
    Thomas
    Guest

    Weekday

    I am trying to sum items by weekday from date. My list has dates and items
    recieved. I would like to total all items received on Mondays, then all
    items Tuesdays etc. Sorting is not an option since I looking up the
    information on a different sheet based on the criteria that it is what day of
    the week? Any sugestions?

  2. #2

    Re: Weekday

    I had my dates in A2:A30.
    I had my quantities in B2:B30.

    I put Sunday, Monday, ..., Saturday in 7 cells (I used C2:C8).

    Then in D2, I put this:
    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$30<>""),--(TEXT($A$2:$A$30,"dddd")=$C2),--($B$2:$B$30))

    Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

    Then drag down through D8.

    =sumproduct() likes to work with numbers. The -- stuff turns true/falses to 1's
    and 0's.

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Weekday

    Hi Thomas

    One way would be with Sumproduct.
    With Dates in column A and values in column B
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Weekday($A$1:$A$100)=2),$B$1:$B$100)
    This would give the result for Monday = 2

    Better still, set up a list of cells in say D1:D7 and change formula to
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(Weekday($A$1:$A$100)=D1),$B$1:$B$100)
    and enter in E1 and copy down to E7

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Weekday

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:44:27 -0800, Thomas <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I am trying to sum items by weekday from date. My list has dates and items
    >recieved. I would like to total all items received on Mondays, then all
    >items Tuesdays etc. Sorting is not an option since I looking up the
    >information on a different sheet based on the criteria that it is what day of
    >the week? Any sugestions?

    =SUMPRODUCT((WEEKDAY(date_rng)=DOW)*(item_rcvd_rng))

    For DOW

    1=Sunday
    2=Monday
    3=Tuesday
    etc.

    Make sure your two ranges (*_rng) in the formula are the same size.

    --ron

  5. #5
    George King
    Guest

    RE: Weekday

    Add a column and insert the WEEKDAY() function in the new column, then use
    SUMIF() to look for each day. WEEKDAY() will return a number. Then insert 7
    SUMIF() formulas to look for each of the 7 days.

    Insert the functions using the 'Insert' - 'Function' menu and the wizard
    will walk you through setting up the functions correctly.
    --
    George

  6. #6
    George Carlin
    Guest

    Re: Weekday

    Hi Thomas!

    You got lots great replies and I wanted to add my own!