Protect "signature" cell

  1. #1
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    Protect "signature" cell

    Good morning, Excel gurus!

    I have a spreadsheet where I have protected the workbook and worksheet
    except for the input fields.

    I have one cell that I would like to use as a "approved by" cell. I would
    like all users to enter the data in the other "unprotected" cells. But this
    one cell I would like password protect. Can I use a different password than
    the worksheet pswd? If not, that's OK - just asking.

    So, what I would like is when you tab to that cell, you get a password
    prompt? Only the CFO (and me) will know the password - so when his initials
    are in the box, we know he "approved" the file.

    Bonus question, after he "initials" the cell, can I lock the entire sheet?

    This is a cheap version of a "digital signature" :-)

    Thanks a bunch!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Protect "signature" cell

    Considering how easily Excel passwords can be broken, you might consider
    something like this:

    Create a network folder for approved files. Engage network security that
    only allows approvers to write to that folder. That way, any file in that
    folder had to be put there by an approver (or a network adminstrator, of
    course).

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    JNW
    Guest

    RE: Protect "signature" cell

    Since initials are easy to imitate, you could look at using the
    environ("username") command in VBA. This will limit certain actions based on
    who is logged into the computer itself.

  4. #4
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    RE: Protect "signature" cell

    This sounds interesting and worth investigating.
    I'm still learning VBA, could you give an example? Or where to find more info?
    Thanks in advance.

  5. #5
    DTTODGG
    Guest

    RE: Protect "signature" cell

    Thanks Ron, this might work.

    So, anyone can "fill out the form" and email it to the CFO.
    He would "initial" (which anyone could do), but he approves the form.
    Then the CFO has to remember to Save it into the "network" folder that is
    secure, only a limited group can put it in the folder, but many can look at
    it.
    Is that correct?

    It's not nearly as much fun as learning more excel, but sounds very
    practical :-)

    Thanks again.

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Protect "signature" cell

    With the network permission settings you have many options.

    Here are a few:
    Some users have full read/write/update permissions
    Some users can see the folder files, but can't open them
    Some users can open folder files, but can't change or delete them.

    Since you're eager to automate at least some of the process, you could
    attach code to an Approve button, that automatically saves the file to the
    secure folder.

    Does that help?

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  7. #7

    Not quite there yet

    I would like to pick up on the original question. The folder suggestion would work with 1 approver, but is not quite perfect for a chain of approvers. For my case, I would need up to 8 cells, all protected by a different password for different people that need to approve.
    I know that excel passwords don't do much for real protection, but that wouldn't matter that much. We need a simple form of protection. The idea is to do the effort to protect a bit, but not endlesly. It's a relatively small company, ppl trust eachother, abuse would stand out quickly. So I would realy like to know how to protect several cells with different passwords or any other form of individual, unique approval before forwarding to the next in the chain.

    Many thanks in advance