V-lookup and summing values if more than 1 matches criteria

  1. #1
    holcay
    Guest

    V-lookup and summing values if more than 1 matches criteria

    I am trying to investigate a way in which I can get V-Lookup to sum the
    values and bring back the total figure when more than one cell matches the
    search criteria. E.g. if I am getting it to search for number 46 and I want
    it to bring back the next column, and there are two 46 matches, and each of
    the columns I want to bring back having a number in there, I want it to sum
    the two numbers and bring back the total figure.

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: V-lookup and summing values if more than 1 matches criteria

    one way looking for 46 in col E and numbers in columns H:I
    =SUM(INDIRECT("H"&MATCH(46,E:E)&":I"&MATCH(46,E:E)))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: V-lookup and summing values if more than 1 matches criteria

    Try the SUMIF function rather than vlookup; the format is roughly:
    =sumif(Range to search, What to search for, Range to add upon matching). In
    your case something like =sumif(B:B,46,C:C).

  4. #4

    Re: V-lookup and summing values if more than 1 matches criteria

    Take a look at =sumif() in excel's help:

    =sumif(sheet2!A:A,A1,sheet2!B:B)