How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

  1. #1
    Ken Proj mgr
    Guest

    How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Hello,
    I am using Excel to schedule construction processes for homes. It is set up
    by columns. Example "Column B..Row 2" gets the actual date typed in and I
    set up calculations to add days to the schedule. For instance: Column B..Row
    3 would be Row 2 +1. I want to have Saturday and Sunday automatically add
    2 days to the calculation. I would need the new dates to carry forward. Is
    this possible?

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Look at the WORKDAY() function. HELP has the details; don't miss what it
    says if you get a #NAME error

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ken Proj mgr
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Niek Otten,
    Thanks for the direction. I will work on it and I will let you know how I
    made out.

    Thanks again.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Ken Proj mgr
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Niek Otten,
    Ug! My spreadsheet is showing me the "#value" sign when I put in the
    formula, "=workday(a10,a11). The formula work on another sheet that is
    properly formatted, but not on the sheet I need it to owkr on. That too is
    properly formatted. I made sure I am using a date and a figure to add. Any
    ideas?

  5. #5

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    I'd guess that one of those cells isn't really what you expect.

    if you put
    =count(a10:a11)
    in a separate cell
    do you get 2?

    Both of those cells should be numeric (a date is a number to excel).

    If you don't, try reformatting each cell (as a date and general) and retype the
    values in each cell.

  6. #6
    Ken Proj mgr
    Guest

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Dave Peterson & Niek Otten,
    I did it! I figured out what I was doing wrong. The Info on "Workday"
    works fine. I had to add a number of lines to my sheet, but I was able to
    schedule a house from start to finsish by entering a start date. I set up my
    formula wrong.

    Thank you both.

    Ken

  7. #7

    Re: How do I set up a calculation to exclude weekends?

    Glad you fixed the problem.