What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

  1. #1
    Desert Rat
    Guest

    What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the symbol ^ when using
    calculations in Excel. Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    flummi
    Guest

    Re: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    3^3 = 27 which means 3 raised to the power of 3

    Hans

  3. #3
    Max
    Guest

    Re: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    Caret: "^" means "to the power of"

    Eg: entering in say, A1: =3^4
    means to evaluate 3 to the power of 4
    i.e: =3x3x3x3=81

    Likewise =2^3 = 2x2x2=8
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    bigwheel
    Guest

    RE: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    It means "raise to the power of" so that 2^3 means 2 raised to the power of 3
    (or 2 cubed) which equals 8

  5. #5

    "Desert Rat" wrote:
    > I am having trouble finding out the purpose of the
    > symbol ^ when using calculations in Excel. Can
    > anyone help me?

    For future reference, use the key phrase "calculation operators"
    in a Help search, and see the Help page "about calculation
    operators".

  6. #6
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    You got lots of good answers but if you need another:
    The one-word name for the ^ operator is "exponentiation"
    just as + is addition, × is multiplication.....
    For confirmation of this lovely geek work, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation
    best wishes

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  7. #7
    United States
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010

    Re: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    I'm trying to total hours on my schedule worksheet. For example A1 is the "time in" and B1 is the time out. The cells are formatted for time hh:mm but I don't know the formula to total those hours at the end of the week. Any ideas?

  8. #8
    Forum Guru HaHoBe's Avatar
    Hamburg, Germany
    MS-Off Ver
    work: 2016 on Win10 (notebook), private: 2019 on Win10 (desktop), 2019 on Win11 (notebook)
    Posts
    8,197

    Re: What does the symbol ^ mean in Excel formulas?

    Hi, lskidmore4285,

    Unfortunately your post does not comply with Rule 2 of our Forum RULES. Do not post a question in the thread of another member -- start your own thread.

    If you feel an existing thread is particularly relevant to your need, provide a link to the other thread in your new thread.

    Old threads are often only monitored by the original participants. New threads not only open you up to all possible participants again, they typically get faster response, too.

    Ciao,
    Holger
    Use Code-Tags for showing your code: [code] Your Code here [/code]
    Please mark your question Solved if there has been offered a solution that works fine for you