rounding numbers for match function

  1. #1
    erc_blair
    Guest

    rounding numbers for match function

    Hi-

    I have created a lookup table with 12 rows and 28 columns. (I'll call row
    values "z*" and the column values "A"). In my spreadsheet, z* and A are
    computed in previous cells. To use the lookup table with its discrete values
    of z* and A, I have been rounding the calculated values of z* and A to match
    the values in the columns and rows of the table. I have been using a
    combination of "INDEX" and "MATCH" commands created by the lookup wizard to
    look to the rounded z* and A values, and return the proper table value. My
    confusion lies in the fact that for all values of z* except for two of them,
    everything works great. For the two problem values values, I get the #N/A
    error.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide
    more info.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    When I tested this I got the same thing, although MROUND seemed to be rounding correctly I didn't always get a match when it looked like it should, I switched to ROUND and didn't get a problem, perhaps you can do the same

    =MROUND(A1,0.2) can be replicated with

    =ROUND(A1/2,1)*2

  3. #3
    erc_blair
    Guest

    Re: rounding numbers for match function

    Thank you so very much! That worked perfectly, and saved me a lot more
    confusion. I really appreciate it. Thank you.