how to auto increment cell location within formula

  1. #1
    Bill
    Guest

    how to auto increment cell location within formula

    forgive me if this is basic stuff but I am trying to figure out the
    following: have 2 columns of numbers say C and D where I need a running
    total starting at say D4 with the formula=SUM(C4-C3) then D5 would be
    SUM(C5-C4); then D6 SUM(C6-C5) and so on. Is there a way to automate
    this? Thanks - Bill

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: how to auto increment cell location within formula

    Hi!

    Just enter this formula in D4:

    =C4-C3

    Now, just drag copy down the column and the cell references will
    automatically increment.

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Kevin M
    Guest

    RE: how to auto increment cell location within formula

    Hi Bill, are you referring to Autofill? Once you have a relative cell
    reference in (without $ signs) as in your example, you move your mouse to the
    lower right hand corner of that cell and your cursor turns from white cross
    hair to a black crosshair, left-click and hold, drag it down as far as you
    need it to go.

    HTH,
    Kevin M

  4. #4
    Bill
    Guest

    Re: how to auto increment cell location within formula

    thanks - worked great; I thought I tried this yesterday but apparently
    botched it.
    Bill