auto load data from one workbook to another

  1. #1

    auto load data from one workbook to another

    i have 2 workbooks one is populated with data the other is basically the same but with no data

    the columns are all in different places and some are named different

    i want to be able to auto load my old workbook with data into the correct columns in my new workbook.

    i am sure it is very simple but I just seem to have a blank

    anyone any ideas??

  2. #2
    El Bee
    Guest

    RE: auto load data from one workbook to another

    you could have both files open then in the new file where you want to
    transfer the data to place a formula in column A (or any cell) enter the
    equal sign "=" then click over to the old file and click on the cell you want
    be the same as the cell in the new file.
    After clicking on the cell in the old file press the enter-key; this should
    take you back to the new file and the cell where you put the equal sign
    should now have a value that comes from the old file.
    Next copy this formula down the column.
    Do this for each column.
    Once all the data has been equated to the new file you can the click the
    cell above and to the left of A1 on the new file then right-click and copy
    then right click again and do a copy special:values. Now your new file has
    the data from the old file and the formulas have been replaced with actuall
    data. If you don't do the copy/paste special then every time you opent the
    new file it will ask you if you want to update the link with the old file.
    Hope this all made sense?

  3. #3
    yes

    i did use this but it's a bit of a manual process there are hundreds of columns and thousands of lines

    hence i was hoping for a macro of some sort

    thanks anyaway

  4. #4

    auto load data from one workbook to another

    i had hope to use a more automated process linking columns from one spreadsheet to another the processs you describe below works of course but on large spreadsheets with many columns and rows this takes quite a bit of time

    many thanks though

    Quote Originally Posted by El Bee