How do I count wildcard text meeting certain criteria in EXCEL?

  1. #1
    cybermaksim
    Guest

    How do I count wildcard text meeting certain criteria in EXCEL?

    I can't figure out how to count occurrences of a wildcard matching certain
    criteria. For example, let's say I want to count the number of cells
    containing words ending in "ing" - even if those cells contain other words
    besides the one ending in "ing". How do I do that? And then, out of that
    count, how do I count only the number of those cells which also contain a
    value of "X" in the same row one column to the right? Let me give a visual:

    A B C
    1 slow ending X
    2 slow beginning X
    3 fast ending

    In this example, there are 3 cells in column A that contain a word that ends
    in "ing", and out of those 3, 2 of them have an X in column B. What formula
    would I use in this situation to account for the wildcard *ing, and to count
    only those occurrences that also have an X in column B, to give the value of
    2 in the cell containing this formula?

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I count wildcard text meeting certain criteria in EXCEL?

    One way:

    =SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ing",A1:A10))*(B1:B10="X"))

    Adapt the ranges to suit, but it cannot be entire col refs (A:A, B:B).
    Replace SEARCH with FIND if you need it to be case-sensitive.
    (SEARCH is not case-sensitive)
    --
    Max
    Singapore