Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

  1. #1

    Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

    Hello-

    Is there a way to set up a SUMPRODUCT so that it will automatically adjust the array length to the last value in a column???

    For example if I have column A data that starts in row 9 and ends in row 50. Part of my SUMPRODUCT would look like --(A9-A50),

    Then if I add 5 rows of data could I set up a SUMPRODUCT to automatically adjust to now include those extra 5 rows?

  2. #2
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

    You could use indirect ranges such as
    =SUMPRODUCT(--(indirect($A$1)=condition1),--(indirect($B$1)=condition2))
    Where A1 and B1 name the ranges with formula such as
    ="Sheet1A"&row(A9)&":A"&row(A9)+counta(A10:A$65536)-1

    Of course indirect can be volatile if you insert or delete columns

    "qwopzxnm" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Tarburton
    Guest

    Re: Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

    That should have been
    ="Sheet1A"&row(A9)&":A"&row(A9)+counta(A9:A$65536)-1

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

    Bob Tarburton wrote...
    >You could use indirect ranges such as
    >=SUMPRODUCT(--(indirect($A$1)=condition1),--(indirect($B$1)=condition2))
    >Where A1 and B1 name the ranges with formula such as
    >="Sheet1A"&row(A9)&":A"&row(A9)+counta(A10:A$65536)-1
    >
    >Of course indirect can be volatile if you insert or delete columns

    First, "Sheet1A9" is an invalid textref. The exclamation point between
    the worksheet name and the column letter isn't optional.

    INDIRECT is *always* 'volatile'. Perhaps you mean dangerous or fragile?
    INDIRECT is also not the best choice. OFFSET would be if volatile
    functions are acceptable.

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(OFFSET(A9,0,0,COUNTA(A9:A65536),1)=condition1),...)

    However, this depends on there being no gaps, blank cells, in column A
    before the final nonblank value.

    Safer and nonvolatile to use

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(A9:INDEX(A:A,LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A9:A65536)),
    ROW(A9:A65536)))=condition1),...)

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Sumproduct doesn't work with columns... alternatives?

    There are several ways to do this, one way without using a volatile function
    would be

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$9:INDEX($A$9:$A$20000,COUNTA($A$9:$A$20000))))

    which would be the same as

    =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$9:$A$50))

    now add 5 values

    and it will adapt, you can also define a dynamic named range like here

    http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

    that particular website is the best IMHO if you want to learn excel

    Peo Sjoblom

    Northwest Excel Solutions

    Portland, Oregon