format a cell if the formula is removed

  1. #1
    Rob
    Guest

    format a cell if the formula is removed

    I want to apply a conditional format to let someone know that the formula in
    a cell has been overwritten. Is there a way to do this?

  2. #2
    Barb Reinhardt
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Can you clarify? Do you want a CF under the following conditions:

    Formula replaced with another formula
    Formula replaced with something besides a formula?

    I can think of a way if the formula has been removed.

    Put this in for your conditional format

    FORMULA IS
    =ISNA(SEARCH("=",A1))=FALSE

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Well, what I want to do is to give an individual the ability to overwrite a
    formula if they want to put in a value in a particular cell. I want the cell
    background to turn red or whatever if the cell formula is overwritten.

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Hi!

    Here's one way:

    Create this named formula:

    Goto Insert>Name>Define
    Name: CellHasFormula
    Refers to: =GET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))=FALSE
    OK

    Now, select the cell you want to format, assume that's cell A1
    Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
    Formula is: =AND(CellHasFormula,A1<>"")
    Select the format style desired
    OK out

    When the cell contains a formula no formatting is applied. When the cell
    contains a constant the format is applied.

    Biff

  5. #5
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Biff:

    That works beautifully!!! What are we saying with this statement anyway
    =GET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))=FALSE. I don't quite get the logic?

    Thanks a lot, too!!!

  6. #6
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Hi!

    GET.CELL() is from the old Excel macro language. That macro language has
    been replaced by VBA but it's still supported.

    48 is the argument index number for a formula in a cell.

    In order for these macro language functions to work they have to be called
    from named formulas. Thus the reason to create the named formula. Since this
    has to be called from a named formula we can't use absolute cell referencing
    so the need for R1C1 referencing via the Indirect function.

    INDIRECT("RC"....) refers to the target cell of the conditional formatting.

    =GET.CELL(48,INDIRECT("RC",FALSE))

    This would return TRUE if the cell has a formula. Since your criteria is the
    opposite and since CF is based on a condition of TRUE, we need to test for a
    condition of FALSE, thus:

  7. #7
    Rob
    Guest

    Re: format a cell if the formula is removed

    Excellent, thanks a lot.