How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

  1. #1
    Misty
    Guest

    How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    I have 2 drop down lists made, but I want to have one linked to the other
    one. For example the first list has types of wood in it.
    Bamboo
    Maple
    Oak

    The 2nd one has pricing in it.
    1.25
    2.50
    3.50

    If I click on Bamboo - I want the 2nd list to auto generate 3.50. Can that
    be done?

  2. #2
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    If the end result for your question is for a cell to display 3.50 after
    selecting 'Bamboo', then why not place these lists in your worksheet/book
    somewhere. For example:
    Column A - Bamboo, Maple, Oak
    Column B - 3.50, 2.50, 1.25

    if your drop down is in cell a5, then in cell b5 you could type:
    =INDEX(A1:B3,MATCH(A5,A1:A3,0),2)

    Hope that answers your question.

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    Looks like you could use VLOOKUP to do that.

    =VLOOKUP(F1,A1:B10,2,0)

    Where F1 is the drop down with the wood types.
    A1:A10 is a list of all the wood types in the drop down list
    B1:B10 is the price of each wood type

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Misty
    Guest

    Re: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Thank you! I will work with this and if I can't get it work, I will let you
    know.

    Thanks again!
    Misty

  5. #5
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Thank you! I will work with this and if I can't get it to work, I will let
    you know.

    Thanks again!
    Misty

  6. #6
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi BigPig,

    For some reason, I am not having much success. Is there anyway you can send
    me an example spreadsheet?

  7. #7
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi BigPig,

    For some reason I am having little success. Is there anyway you can send me
    a example spreadsheet?

    Thanks.
    Misty

  8. #8
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    I am sorry for not seeing this post until now.

    You probably have already figured it out, but I will answer your question as
    best as I can.

    Unfortunately I can't give you a sample, since I can't attach an example via
    this forum. However:

    Look at 'data validation'. Debra Dalgleish's site is an awesome reference
    for 'data validation'. http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

    With her help I have saved myself many headbanging moments.

    In a workbook, make a column in 'a' with the heading of 'wood', and then put
    in a2 Bamboo, and a3 Maple, and in a4 Oak. Then in column b put a heading of
    price, then in b2 put in 3.50, b3 2.50 and b4 1.25. You can format the
    numbers as prices (right click, format cells, number, currency).

    Part of the key here is to make the column that you are indexing-sorted. It
    has to be sorted in ascending order for this example.

    In the same worksheet, for example, in cell a10, go to data-validation-allow
    list. Then select the range $A$2:$A$4. You don't necessarily have to use data
    validation, but it helps.

    In cell b10, put in this formula =INDEX(A2:B4,MATCH(A10,A2:A4,0),2)

    What this formula does is finds the row that the cell a10 has in it, ie Oak.
    Then it selects the data 2 columns over, 1.25.

    Match finds the number of the row, index finds the data at a particular
    intersection. (row, column)

    This is just one example, you could also use vlookup as mentioned by L.
    Howard Kittle.

    Either way works.

  9. #9
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi BigPig,

    Thank you for responding. I did end up figuring it out. Yeah!!! I have a
    more complex formula thread that I need help on. (At least I think its more
    complex - heehee).

    I need drop down lists that caputre the following:
    1-11 12-24 25-99 100-249 250+
    A Mah 4.20 3.60 3.20 3.10 3.00
    Cherry 4.10 3.50 3.10 3.00 2.90
    C. Alder and so on.
    K. Alder
    Maple
    R. Oak

    Same as last time except there are more links that I need help on.
    For example - if I choose A. Mah and then move to the next column and enter
    1-11, I need it to link to 4.20 or if I choose 12-24 I need it to link to
    3.60. But each wood type has different amounts for the 1-11, 12-24, 25-99,
    100-249 and 250+. Make sense?

    Any help you could give would be great!

    Thanks.
    Misty

  10. #10
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    If I understand your question:
    Row 1 has headings for: Wood Types, 1-11 and so on
    Where column A is for Wood Types, Column B is for prices on "1-11", and so on.

    And you want to be able to match a Wood type, against '1-11' etc... in order
    to get the appropriate price? Right?

    There are several ways to do this, this is just one:

    Same as before, your rows and columns of data need to be sorted in ascending
    order. Meaning, Wood Types have to be in ascending order, as well as '1-11,
    100-249' etc...

    In spreadsheet1 column A put in 'Wood Types', and in ascending order the
    'WoodTypes'. In column b put it '1-11' and all of the prices down that
    column, and then in column c, put in '100-249' etc...

    For this example using the information you provided, select cell a16, go
    into data validation, allow list, highlight the range of woodtypes. Now
    select b16, and do the same for the column headings of '1-11' '100-249' ,
    data validation, etc..

    In cell c16 put in:
    =INDEX(A1:F7,MATCH(A16,A1:A7),MATCH(B16,A1:H1))

    Where A1:F7 is the range that you want to index, A16 contains the value of
    the Woodtype, and B16 contains the '1-11' etc. The first match in the INDEX
    formula is looking for the row number, and the second the column number. Note
    I only used the info that you gave me, so I am sure that there is a lot more.
    So the cells that I selected as an example, you will probably have to put
    somewhere else. Nonetheless, the process is the same.

    I hope that this answers your question. Again, there are many different ways
    to handle this, this is just one.

  11. #11
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi BigPig,

    I think I led you in the wrong direction. If I choose A Mah, then I would
    need to choose between 1-11, 12-24, 25-99, 100-249, 250+. Then I would want
    the prices of 4.20, 3.60, 3.20, 3.10 and 3.00 to autofill when choosing from
    1-11, 12-24 and so on. I need the forumla to be able to do that for each type
    of wood. I only have 3 columns for drop downs. Wood Type, Panel Qty and
    Price.

    Can that work? If that is the formula you gave me, I am having difficulty
    getting it to work.

    I also create the drop down boxes on a different spreadsheet than where the
    actualy drop down boxes appear. (I do the validation thing and that works, to
    get them to appear on the other page - I just can't get the formula to work.)

    I apologize for being a pain. I appreciate all the help you have given me
    so far.

    Thanks.
    Misty

  12. #12
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    The example I provided earlier was all on the same spreadsheet. So when you
    are using data validation, index and match, in a different spreadsheet as you
    have found out it doens't work.

    Here's what you can do:
    You can use the formula 'offset' along with named cell ranges and data
    validation.
    It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

    1. Put you data in sheet 2. Ie column a, a1=WoodTypes, a2=A Mah, a3=Cherry,
    a4=Oak

    2. Highlight the cells b1 to f1, right click, format cells, text.

    3. Cells b1 to f1, 100-249, 1-11, 12-24, 250+, 25-99
    The reason for the mix, is they are actually 'sorted' in ascending order

    4. Populate the rest of the cells with the corresponding prices accordingly.
    In the example I used, I only used A Mah through Cherry, and 100-249 to
    25-99, and used your price range and some other prices that seemed right.

    5. In Sheet1 select cell A1, go to Insert, name, define, type in WoodTypes,
    in the refers to field select the little table on the right, select the
    sheet2 tab, and select the cell range a2 through a4 in my example, in yours I
    am sure it's longer. Click on the little box to the right of the define
    name/refers to field, click add, and close.

    6. With a1 still selected go to data validation, allow, list, and in the
    field 'source' type in =WoodTypes. Now cell a1 should have a little triangle
    next to it.

    7. Repeat the process for the ‘number of sheets’ starting with cell b1 in
    sheet1, don't put any spaces in your defined name. Meaning, use No_Of_Sheets,
    in lieu of No. Of Sheets. With Naming cell ranges, you can’t have any spaces.
    Likewise, when using Data validation, you can’t refer to cells outside of the
    active sheet, unless they are ‘named’.

    8. Now in cell c1 of sheet1 type in:
    =OFFSET(Sheet2!A1,MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A2:A4),MATCH(B1,Sheet2!B1:F1))

    What this formula essentially does is selects a cell x amount of rows, and x
    amount of columns from the reference, in this case cell A1 in sheet2.

    I picked this method because of the reference to sheets that you were using.
    Since excel is math based, it searches through data that’s sorted. When you
    combine symbols like – and +, it will mess up your equation, that’s why I
    suggested formatting your ‘no of sheets’ range as text.

    To find out more about data validation and named cell ranges, refer to Debra
    Dalgleish’s site: http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

    As I mentioned in an earlier post, her website is more than helpful.

    Let me know how everything turns out.

  13. #13
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi - Its me...again

    I got the formula to work, but its not pulling the right amounts for each
    type of wood. For example: if I click on A. Mah and choose 1-11, its not
    giving me the correct price. How would you suggest I trouble shoot that?

    Thanks.
    Misty

  14. #14
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    Did you sort the '1-11', '12-24' and so on? A way to do it is:

    1. Make sure that the cells that hold the 'No of Sheets', are formatted as
    text.

    2. Highlight the range minus the 'WoodTypes' Column.

    3. Go to 'Data', 'Sort', 'Options', 'Sort Left to Right'.

    Let me know if this works.

  15. #15
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    One more thing,

    Another thing I thought might be:

    What cell did you select as your reference for 'offset'? Assuming that
    everything else is sorted, then it may be that your 'reference' cell needs to
    be adjusted to a different cell. The reference cell as in: 'A1', see below.
    =OFFSET(Sheet2!A1,MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A2:A4),MATCH(B1,Sheet2!B1:F1))

    Where cell 'A1' is a reference point from where 'offset' searches x amount
    of columns 'match(b1,sheet2!b1:f1)', and rows 'match(a1, sheet2!a2:a4)', from
    the reference cell 'sheet2!A1'.

  16. #16
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Yeah!!! Its working.

    I got to looking at my drop down list for the 1-11, 12-24, 25-99 and so on
    and realized that 100-249 wasn't showing up. It was because I hadn't
    captured that cell while making my list.

    Thank you sooo very much!

    I love this site!

  17. #17
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    I am glad that everything worked out for you!

    ---BigPig---

  18. #18
    Misty
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    You just thought you were done with me!!!

    Ok - I was asked to see if there is anyway to link the drop down boxes of
    wood types together. I have the same drop down box in several cells in
    different parts of the worksheet, and I was wondering if there is anyway to
    connect them to where if we choose "maple" in the first drop down list, can
    it auto filter to the other areas of the worksheet?

    Thanks!
    Misty

  19. #19
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    Do you mean that you have drop downs in several different sheets that refer
    to the same types of data?

    If that's the case, couldn't you put all the wood types, no of sheets, and
    prices in one sheet?

    Please explain in more detail.

  20. #20
    BigPig
    Guest

    RE: How do I link mulitple drop down boxes together?

    Hi Misty,

    Another thing I thought of...

    If your other drop downs will be identical to eachother, then you could just
    refer to the cells that hold the drop downs, and the cell that holds the
    formula.

    Meaning, if your drop downs and offset formula are in a1:c1, then in cell
    a10, type in =a1, in cell b10 type in =b1, in cell c10 type in =c1

    Hope that answers your question.