Row Expansion

  1. #1
    Susan
    Guest

    Row Expansion

    Is there anyway to set a row to automatically expand when info is transferred
    to it from another sheet?

  2. #2
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    If you set the destination cell to Wrap, the cell will automatically
    increase/decrease in height to accommodate the quantity of text in the cell.
    Is that what you wanted?
    If you want the column width to change automatically, you will need an event
    macro. Please post back if you need more. HTH Otto
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Susan
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    I checked my cells formatting and the text wrapping option is selected but
    the row does not increase in height when text is transferred. If I do a
    column expansion, I'm afraid my spreadsheet will exceed my margins. Is there
    a macro for expanding the height of the cells?

    Thanks for your reply.

    Susan Spencer

  4. #4
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Susan
    Your right. When you copy data from a cell and paste it into a cell
    that is formatted for Wrap, the format of the source cell comes along with
    the paste and you lose the Wrap formatting. You can manually set the format
    of that cell back to Wrap or you can run the following macro with that cell
    selected:
    Sub SetWrap()
    Selection.WrapText = True
    End Sub

    There is a way to automate this also, if you know the range into which you
    will be pasting the data. Something like "any cell in Column A" or "any
    cell in Column A from this row to that row". Or any other column or groups
    of columns and groups of rows. If you can nail down the range into which
    you will be pasting, then when you paste into any cell in that range, the
    format will be changed to Wrap. Post back if you think something like this
    will help you. HTH Otto

  5. #5
    Susan
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Otto,

    The source cell from where I am transferring data is already set to word
    wrap. I need a macro that when the data is transferred to the destination
    cell the row that it is being transferred to will increase in height
    automatically to accomodate viewing the entire cell without having to
    manually adjust the height. Is there a way to do that?

    Thanks again,
    Susan Spencer

  6. #6
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Susan
    I don't know what you have in your file for it to act this way. If the
    source cell is formatted for Wrap and you copy it and paste it into any
    cell, that cell (the destination cell) will be formatted for Wrap regardless
    of its format before the paste. You say that is not happening for you.
    Yes, there is a way to automatically format a cell immediately after you
    paste into it. You would need a Worksheet_Change event macro. Such a macro
    fires (executes) whenever the content of any cell in the entire sheet
    changes. You would need to write the code of the macro to take the action
    you want (format to wrap) whenever any cell within your range changes. I'm
    sure you don't want this macro to take the Wrap action when any cell in the
    entire sheet changes. Can you specify the range in which you want this
    action to occur? Like "Anywhere in Column A from row 3 to row 150". Or
    "Anywhere in Columns C:K from rows 23 to 432. Or etc. Whatever range you
    come up with, you need to name it. Say "TheRange". The following macro
    will change the format of the cell to Wrap when the changed cell is within
    TheRange.
    Sub SetWrap()
    If Target="" Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Range("TheRange")) Then _
    Target.WrapText = True
    End Sub

    Note that such a macro must NOT be placed in a standard module. It MUST be
    placed in the sheet module for the sheet in which you want this to happen.
    To access that module, right-click on the sheet tab of your sheet. From the
    menu that pops up select View Code. Paste this macro into that module.
    Click on the "X" in the top right corner of the module to return to your
    sheet. Please post back if you need more. HTH Otto

  7. #7
    Susan
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Otto,

    I am trying to enter the macro from your message below, but I'm getting an
    error message with this line of the macro: If Intersect(Target, Range
    (Range_1))_Then. I named my range Range_1.

    Susan

  8. #8
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Susan
    You need to put the range name in quotes, "Range_1". HTH Otto

  9. #9
    Susan
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Otto,

    I input the macro as follows:

    Sub SetWrap()
    If Target = "" Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Range("Range_1")) Then
    Target.WrapText = True
    End Sub

    My rows are still not widening when the info is transferred. I looked back
    at your directions and noticed that you referred to pasting. The data that I
    am transferring to the destination cell is getting there from code inserted
    into visual basic. Would that affect the macro you are giving me from
    working?

    Susan

  10. #10
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Susan
    I messed you up. I told you I was giving you an event macro then I gave
    you standard macro.
    Here is the macro you should be using:
    If Target = "" Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Range("Range_1")) Then
    Target.WrapText = True
    End Sub
    And this will work regardless of who puts data into the Range_1 range, you
    or the code. Sorry for the mix-up. Otto

  11. #11
    Otto Moehrbach

  12. #12
    Susan
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Otto,

    The macro didn't work again. I typed it in just as you had it, but no luck.
    I think I'm going to give up on this. Thank you for your help and patience.

    Susan Spencer

  13. #13
    Otto Moehrbach
    Guest

    Re: Row Expansion

    Susan
    Don't give up. This stuff is too easy to just give up on it. What you
    want to do is very common and is done by lots of people virtually all the
    time. If you wish, send me your file or a sample of it. Fake the actual
    data if you feel it is proprietary. I want just the layout. I don't need
    your code that puts data into one of the Range_1 cells if you don't want to
    send it. I can write that myself.
    My email address is [email protected]. Remove the "nop" from this
    address. Otto