How do I lock selected cells, so only I can change them?

  1. #1
    Robert
    Guest

    How do I lock selected cells, so only I can change them?

    I need to lock only a few certian cells in my exel sheet, so they can not be
    changed by other users. Is this possible, and how can I do that if it is
    possible.

  2. #2

    Locking specific cells

    Hello Robert,

    All cells are locked by default but it is not turned on unless you protect the sheet.

    If you only want certain cells to be locked you will need to unlock all cells, lock specific cells and then protect the entire sheet:

    Highlight all cells (click the grey box to the left of A and top of 1)
    Choose Format + Cells
    Choose the Protection tab + untick Locked + OK

    Highlight all the cells you want locked for your own use (use the Control key to highlight non continuous cells)

    Choose Format + Cells + Protection tab + tick Locked + OK

    Choose Tools + Protection + Protect Worksheet

    You can enter a password here

    The other users can enter and change info in all the other cells apart from the ones you have specifically locked. In order to change the locked cells they will need the password.

    For you to change them choose Tools + Unprotect Worksheet + enter your password.

    Don't forget to protect it agian once you are done.

    Hope this helps

    Judith

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Re: How do I lock selected cells, so only I can change them?

    On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 08:12:49 -0800, Robert
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to lock only a few certian cells in my exel sheet, so they can not be
    >changed by other users. Is this possible, and how can I do that if it is
    >possible.

    By default, when you turn on sheet protection all cells are locked.

    Select all the cells you don't want locked, and then
    Format-->Cells--> Protection Tag and unselect the 'locked' option. Now
    turn sheet protection on with a suitable password.

    HTH

    Richard Buttrey
    __

  4. #4
    Sloth
    Guest

    RE: How do I lock selected cells, so only I can change them?

    tools->protection->Protect Sheet

    cells are Locked by default, and any cell you don't want protected needs to
    be unlocked before you protect the sheet. UnLock cells by selecting format
    cells and going to the protection tab.