Complex function....not sure how if the result I want is possible

  1. #1
    Besseme
    Guest

    Complex function....not sure how if the result I want is possible

    OK...this may not even been a possible function of Excel...might be something
    for Access.

    Name Hole1 Hole2 Hole3
    Mike 3 4 5
    Melissa 4 5 6
    Tony 2 3 4
    Scott 3 3 3

    The result I'm wanting the name of person that had the lowest score on each
    hole but only if they were the sinlge lowest score (no more than one player
    had the same score).

    How can I do this....surely it can be done!! HELP!!!

  2. #2
    bpeltzer
    Guest

    RE: Complex function....not sure how if the result I want is possible

    If the names are in A2:A5 and the hole 1 scores in B2:B5, then
    =IF(COUNTIF(B2:B5,MIN(B2:B5))=1,INDEX($A2:$A5,MATCH(MIN(B2:B5),B2:B5,FALSE)),"Tie")
    will tell you who had the low score on hole 1. You could autofill this
    across multiple columns to get the low score on each hole.
    The logic: find the low score and see if there's exactly one such score.
    If so, use index/match to find the associated name. If not, declare a tie.
    HTH. --Bruce