Sum help this is puzzling???????????

  1. #1
    scott
    Guest

    Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    I have a simple sum problem. I have the following data entered. The sum total
    in excel =49.604
    When you add these up it should read 49.607
    What the heck is going on?
    Scott
    1.802
    2.337
    1.942
    1.330
    0.885
    1.910
    1.780
    2.927
    2.413
    2.617
    1.297
    0.522
    2.453
    2.582
    2.388
    1.453
    1.751
    0.794
    0.769
    2.170
    1.689
    2.391
    2.007
    1.265
    1.081
    0.821
    1.761
    2.470
    0.000
    0.000
    0.000

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/pennyoff.html

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    scott
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Niek

    Thanks but I do not understand how to enter the formula, to make it work
    correctly
    scott

  4. #4
    scott
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Niek
    I checked the persision and it said it may effect accuracey is this going to
    be a big problem i have allot of calulations going on envoling decimal points
    scott

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    It depends on what you require.

    If you don't want to lose any accuracy, format all your numbers as General
    and widen the column so you see all decimals. You may find that the numbers
    now look different from before.

    If you insist on calculating with 3 decimals, either use the ROUND()
    function for all of the numbers or apply Precision as displayed.

  6. #6
    scott
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Niek
    I hate to be a bother but the format doesn't work. Does checking the persion
    button effect very much. Also with the information I have how do I use the
    round function I can not seem to get it to work. I just want to sum that
    column with the correct number. Sorry Hope you can help
    Scott

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Scott,

    The numbers you see are not necessarily the actual values, whilst the SUM
    works on the actual values. You can get it to SUM as seen with

    =SUM(ROUND(A1:A31,3))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Bob Phillips

  8. #8
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Scott

    I don't get it. I copied/pasted your numbers into excel, came up with 49.607

    Tools/Options/precision as displayed not checked.

    Formatted as "general"

    What formulas are you using to get the number in the column, and what
    formula add them for you?

    Beege

  9. #9
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    He has the display format at 3 dec places, so many numbers are probably
    smaller, but the presentation is rounded up.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Sum help this is puzzling???????????

    Please be a bit more specific. What is the format? What do you see? Did you
    widen the column? What do you mean with "whole number"? To see all the
    digits or to see the integer part only (what math people would call a whole
    number, strange enough)?

    Please tell us where you get the numbers from (formulas? what formulas? what
    values?), what the formatting string is, whether you widened the column,
    what you see, what your SUM formula is, how you formatted that one, what you
    see there, etc.