How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

  1. #1
    MiddleEarthNet
    Guest

    How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    I know how to use the tan function in Excel 2003, but I need the inverse of
    tan written as 1/tan or tan^-1) for a set of equations I'm doing. I've tried
    various combinations of writing it with brackets to separate terms but it
    still says there is an error.

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    =1/TAN(A1)
    =TAN(A1)^(-1)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    Per Excel Help:

    ATAN()
    Returns the arctangent, or inverse tangent, of a number.

    Is that what you're looking for?
    (If not, check Excel's math and trig functions.)

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    Niek,
    I think we have a language problem here.
    Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.
    We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harlan Grove
    Guest

    Re: How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    Bernard Liengme wrote...
    >I think we have a language problem here.
    >Inverse of a trig function is the TAN^1(x) not (TAN(x))^-10.

    ^-1 rather than ^-10.

    The proper term for 1/x is the reciprocal of x. Inverse is a more
    general term which needs context such as additive, multiplicative or
    function.

    >We talk about Arcsine, Arctan so we use ASIN, ATAN
    >best wishes

    As for arctangents, when possible, better to use ATAN2 than ATAN since
    the former can handle 90 and 270 (or -90) degree angles.

  6. #6
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: How do I do the inverse of tan in Excel?

    Hi Bernard,

    I was afraid of that, but took the OP's text literally:

    <written as 1/tan or tan^-1>

    Hopefully we get some sort of feedback to see what the intention was

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...