Return an empty or blank cell value?

  1. #1
    Troymello
    Guest

    Return an empty or blank cell value?

    When I use the IF function in most cases, I want it to either show some text
    or nothing at all. I have always performed this function as in the following
    example:

    =IF(A1=5,"Five"," ")

    If A1 is not equal to five, then my cell will show a space which makes it
    appear to look empty or blank... a cheap fix I suppose. Is there a way to
    make a cell truly act as if it were completely empty in this case?... without
    cheating with a " " space or without returning a zero (0)? Thanks much for
    any info.

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Return an empty or blank cell value?

    =IF(A1=5,"Five","") works better, it puts what is called a null character in
    the cell.
    it's still not really blank, but other formulas like it better than a space
    sometimes.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3