combo box from data validation with source list in separate sheet

  1. #1
    Jay Trull
    Guest

    combo box from data validation with source list in separate sheet

    I am able to create a combo box for a data validation drop down list when the
    source list is in the same sheet. I can't seem to get it to work on
    workbooks where my source list is in a separate sheet? The combo box is
    empty??

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator davesexcel's Avatar
    Regina
    MS-Off Ver
    MS 365
    Posts
    13,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Trull
    I am able to create a combo box for a data validation drop down list when the
    source list is in the same sheet. I can't seem to get it to work on
    workbooks where my source list is in a separate sheet? The combo box is
    empty??
    I like to name the range of the source, say List1
    so then go to
    Data,validation,list,source
    type =List1

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: combo box from data validation with source list in separate sheet

    There are instructions here for a combobox that uses a named range on a
    different sheet:

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  4. #4
    Jay Trull
    Guest

    Re: combo box from data validation with source list in separate sh

    Thank you Debra!! This now works using a named range from a different sheet.
    I was using the wrong code. Now a problem I have is that I am using "Time"
    in one of my source lists, example: 7:00 AM, 8:00 AM, etc... and when I use
    the Combo Box it converts the time to a number- 8:00 AM to .33333333, etc..
    Is there a way to fix this?? I have formatted the cells in both the source
    lists and in the validation cell and I don't see anything in the combobox
    properties list?? Thank you again for your help. Jay

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: combo box from data validation with source list in separate sh

    You could add a change event to the combo box, and pick up the
    formatting from the cell. For example:

    Private Sub TempCombo_Change()
    If IsNumeric(TempCombo.Value) Then
    TempCombo.Value = Format(CDate(TempCombo.Value), _
    Range(TempCombo.LinkedCell).NumberFormat)
    Range(TempCombo.LinkedCell).Value = TempCombo.Value

  6. #6
    Jay Trull
    Guest

    Re: combo box from data validation with source list in separate sh

    Thank you very much, this solved the problem. Your examples have been very
    helpful. Jay

  7. #7
    Jay Trull
    Guest

    Re: combo box from data validation with source list in separate sh

    Everything is working fine except when I click in the combo box list on the
    the time 6:00 AM it put's 12:25 AM in the cell and when I click on 12:00 PM
    it puts 12:05 AM in the cell. All of the other " 46 time values" in the
    source list work except for these two?? When I click on these two particular
    "times" in the data validation drop down list the proper value comes up??