COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

  1. #1
    zurafz6
    Guest

    COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Im currently creating codes for our inventory list. The system provider
    mentioned that my codes can only have 30 characters including spaces and
    symbols. Now I have my list but it will be easy for me if there is a function
    which will help me count the number of characters in a cell. From there I
    will be able to identify those codes which exceed 30 characters and modify my
    list.

    Thanks. It will be a great help.

  2. #2
    JudithJubilee
    Guest

    RE: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Hello zurafz6,

    You can use the LEN function. This counts the number of charcters in a cell.

    =LEN(Cell)

    Judith

  3. #3
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Try this:

    =LEN(A1)

    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Hi!

    =LEN(A1)

    You could also set it up to reject codes longer than 30 characters, if you
    were so inclined.

    Biff

  5. #5
    zurafz6
    Guest

    Re: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Hi Biff
    Thanks it helps. How do I then formulate to reject codes more than 30. What
    is the formula and will it help me identify. Thanks again.

  6. #6
    zurafz6
    Guest

    Re: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Thanks. It works.

  7. #7
    zurafz6
    Guest

    RE: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Thanx a million. It helps.

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: COUNT THE NUMBER OF LETTERS INCLUDING SPACES IN A CELL?

    Hi!

    It would not help to identify as that would be "after the fact". It will
    prevent** you from entering codes longer than 30 characters in the first
    place.

    Select the range of cells in question.
    Assume that range is A1:A1
    Goto Data>Validation
    Allow: Text length
    Data: Less than or equal to
    Maximum: 30
    OK

    ** - prevent means, if the codes are manually typed in. Validated cells can
    still be pasted into or dragged to.

    Biff