How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

  1. #1
    VFPguruExcelNovice
    Guest

    How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

    I'm using Excel 2003, and have used the on-line help, have followed the
    instructions clearly. Yet at the end of it all Excel states that I'm unable
    to use validation against data from other workbooks, yet I have followed the
    instructions under the online help: Create a drop-down list from a range of
    cells. I can create a drop-down list using data from the same worksheet,
    HELP!!

  2. #2
    JudithJubilee
    Guest

    RE: How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

    Hello VFPguruExcelNovice,

    Try this step-by-step tutorial:

    I have 2003 and follow this works for me.

    Post back if you are still having difficulties!

    Judith

    --
    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

    If the data is on another worksheet in the same workbook, you have to give
    the target range a name (Insert>Name>Define...) and use that. In another
    workbook, not possible I think.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    VFPguruExcelNovice
    Guest

    RE: How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

    Thankyou!

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: How do I create a dropdown list using data from a different workbo

    >In another workbook, not possible I think.

    Possible, but not worth the trouble.

    You'd have to create the defined name in the target file and the source file
    has to open.

    Easier just to create the source in the current file.

    Biff

    news:%[email protected]...