Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

  1. #1

    Question Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

    I have two named ranges. One contains a list of contacts the other contains the date they returned a questionnaire or a blank if they havent,

    Name

    Joe Blogs
    Alan Simple
    Billy Carntdo Excel
    Miffy The Cat

    Questionnaire Returned

    02/02/06

    03/02/06

    I'd like to automatically list, without spaces, all the contacts who are yet to return questionnaires (i.e. Alan Simple and Billy Carntdo from example above).
    Is there anyway of doing this, I've been fiddling with CSE formulas and named range intercepts all morning please help!

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

    Hi

    Instead 2 separate lists, create a table (in my example, on sheet Sheet1)

    NotReturned Name ReturnDate
    Joe Blogs 02/02/06
    Alan Simple
    Billy Carntdo Excel
    Miffy The Cat 03/02/06

    Into first column, enter the formula (example for A2, copy it down)
    =IF(OR($B2="",$C2<>""),"",COUNTA($C$2:$C2))
    Hide column A

    Define named ranges
    Names = OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1)
    (this is instead of the one you had defined, you can use it whenever you
    need it - I can't see any reason you need another one)
    ReturnTbl== OFFSET(Sheet1!$A$1,1,,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,3)
    (this will be your lookup table)

    On another sheet, create a list of not returned books/records/whatever
    Name

    Into cell A2, enter the formula
    =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(ROW()-1,ReturnTbl,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(ROW()-1,ReturnTbl,2,0
    ))
    and copy it down.
    There you are!

    Arvi Laanemets

    "Sam Crump" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

    This appears to be the same queston under a different Title as the one you
    posted a couple of hours ago. Did you look at my response to that post? If
    it did not work for you, tell us why and perhaps we can suggest a better
    solution.

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

    Select a group of cells for the results and enter this formula in the
    formula bar

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF((Dates="")*(Names<>""),ROW(Names),""),ROW(Names))),"",
    INDEX(Names,SMALL(IF(Dates="",ROW(Names),""),ROW(Names))))

    which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
    just Enter.

    Make sure the names referto an absolute range, especially row absolute.

    Bob Phillips

  5. #5
    Many many thanks to all those who've provided help with my query,

    CLR - Yes I have posted twice. I got in a flap after the first one and decided it was best to try again. Apologies but I can't find your reply now!

    Bob - I'm having a go at making you CSE formula work but so far I'm only getting the last name on the list, who has a date by their name already. Does it matter that my two named ranges are columns in the same table? what else am i doing wrong?

    I've entered the following formula in a column shaped array:

    {=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF((RegionReturn="")*(RegionName<>""),ROW(RegionName),""),ROW(RegionName))),"",INDEX(RegionName,SMALL(IF(RegionReturn="",ROW(RegionName),""),ROW(RegionName))))}

    All the names refer to absolute cell references and all the arrays are of the same dimensions (although the majority of both are empty cells)

    Sam

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Comparing Named ranges apologies for the dodgey post below

    Sam,

    I guess the problem is because the range RegionName is not in rows 1,2,3,
    etc.

    Try this variation

    =IF(ISERROR(SMALL(IF((RegionReturn="")*(RegionName<>""),ROW(RegionName),""),
    ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(RegionName))))),"",
    INDEX(RegionName,SMALL(IF(RegionReturn="",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(RegionName)