Conditional Median

  1. #1

    Conditional Median

    Hello,

    I am a newbie here.

    I would just like to ask questions that has been bugging me for about a month now.

    1. How do I get the median of a row or a column without including the zeroes? (This will affect my result)

    2. How do I get the median specifying some conditions? (i.e. I only want to get the median of column 2 if its corresponding column 1 meets my conditions)? Further example - I have a database, column 1 lists the fruit types (apples, oranges etc.) column 2 lists the percent sugar content. Now I only want to get the median of the apples....

    3. Finally, can I make a syntax that will combine my query 1 and query 2 (Multiple conditions) So far, I've only succeeded in doing both separately, not combining them in one syntax.

    Please help me...

    Many thanks...

    lex

  2. #2
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Conditional Median

    In article <[email protected]>,
    warburger <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > 1. How do I get the median of a row or a column without including the
    > zeroes? (This will affect my result)

    =MEDIAN(IF(B2:B10>0,B2:B10))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER

    > 2. How do I get the median specifying some conditions? (i.e. I only
    > want to get the median of column 2 if its corresponding column 1 meets
    > my conditions)? Further example - I have a database, column 1 lists the
    > fruit types (apples, oranges etc.) column 2 lists the percent sugar
    > content. Now I only want to get the median of the apples....

    =MEDIAN(IF(A2:A10="Apples",B2:B10))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER

    > 3. Finally, can I make a syntax that will combine my query 1 and query
    > 2 (Multiple conditions) So far, I've only succeeded in doing both
    > separately, not combining them in one syntax.

    =MEDIAN(IF(A2:A10="Apples",IF(B2:B10>0,B2:B10)))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3

    Smile Domenic

    You have no idea how grateful I am.....

    Many thanks bro....I really am thankful...this solves my problem....