Calculate average speed

  1. #1
    41db14
    Guest

    Calculate average speed

    What is the corecct / simple formular to calculate the average speed?
    In one colum I enter the distance (miles) traveled.
    The other colum I enter the time. Time format is "hh:mm"

    What I would like is to have the third colum look at both of these columns
    and based on a formular?? display the average speed.

    I have attempted this by trying the "CONVERT" function to convert the time
    entered to all minutes but for some reason it does not work correctly??

    For example the time entered is 3:05 which is 185 minutes.
    When I use the "CONVERT" function it comes out as 183 ???
    Is the problem with the time format that I'm using?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by 41db14
    What is the corecct / simple formular to calculate the average speed?
    In one colum I enter the distance (miles) traveled.
    The other colum I enter the time. Time format is "hh:mm"

    What I would like is to have the third colum look at both of these columns
    and based on a formular?? display the average speed.

    I have attempted this by trying the "CONVERT" function to convert the time
    entered to all minutes but for some reason it does not work correctly??

    For example the time entered is 3:05 which is 185 minutes.
    When I use the "CONVERT" function it comes out as 183 ???
    Is the problem with the time format that I'm using?

    Try this...assume A1~C1 are Mile, Time, and Speed respectively. Make sure time is input in text format so the formula bar displays "3:05" not "3:05:00 AM".

    C2 = A2/(CONVERT(LEFT(B2,FIND(":",B2)-1),"hr","mn")+RIGHT(B2,LEN(B2)-FIND(":",B2)))

  3. #3
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Calculate average speed

    "41db14" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is the corecct / simple formular to calculate the average speed?
    > In one colum I enter the distance (miles) traveled.
    > The other colum I enter the time. Time format is "hh:mm"
    >
    > What I would like is to have the third colum look at both of these columns
    > and based on a formular?? display the average speed.
    >
    > I have attempted this by trying the "CONVERT" function to convert the time
    > entered to all minutes but for some reason it does not work correctly??
    >
    > For example the time entered is 3:05 which is 185 minutes.
    > When I use the "CONVERT" function it comes out as 183 ???
    > Is the problem with the time format that I'm using?

    Format time cell as [h]:mm:ss
    Avg Speed is distance over time, so
    If A1 is time, and B1 is distance, C1 is
    =B1/(A1*24)

    Beege

  4. #4
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Calculate average speed

    "Beege" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "41db14" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> What is the corecct / simple formular to calculate the average speed?
    >> In one colum I enter the distance (miles) traveled.
    >> The other colum I enter the time. Time format is "hh:mm"
    >>
    >> What I would like is to have the third colum look at both of these
    >> columns
    >> and based on a formular?? display the average speed.
    >>
    >> I have attempted this by trying the "CONVERT" function to convert the
    >> time
    >> entered to all minutes but for some reason it does not work correctly??
    >>
    >> For example the time entered is 3:05 which is 185 minutes.
    >> When I use the "CONVERT" function it comes out as 183 ???
    >> Is the problem with the time format that I'm using?

    > Format time cell as [h]:mm:ss
    > Avg Speed is distance over time, so
    > If A1 is time, and B1 is distance, C1 is
    > =B1/(A1*24)
    >
    > Beege

    And converting Hours to Minutes is
    =A1*1440