Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

  1. #1
    DB Explorer
    Guest

    Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Hi

    This might be a very simple question to most of you, but I am a novice
    user.

    If A1 has date in the format 04-Jan-06, then how do I have B1 display
    only the first two characters "04" in number format, which means 4?

    Cheers
    Sunny

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Hi
    Just use =A1 in B1 and format B1 as dd

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    DB Explorer
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Thanks Andy,

    This works, and displays 04, but I am unable to use this for
    mathematical functions, it needs to be a number format

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Hi

    THis is a bit cumbersome, but it works:
    =VALUE(TEXT(A1,"dd"))

  5. #5
    DB Explorer
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Thanks Andy, this works perfectly, fine.

    Sunny

  6. #6
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    Hi Sunny

    Or you could simplify it to just =DAY(A1)

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  7. #7
    Guest

    Re: Simple Question, display only part of a date in Number format

    I knew there would be a smarter way!!

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...