data filtering based on last two digits of large number

  1. #1
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    I have a very large database where I want to filter out numbers that do
    not have certain two digits as their last two. For example, the column
    based on which I want to filter out data contains numbers like
    197301310153. I want to filter out anything that does not end in 53.
    I tried using a criterium with a formula such as
    =RIGHT(TEXT(A5,"###########"),2)="53", where A5 contains the first
    record of the database. I put this criterium in A2, and when I select
    the advanced filter from the menu I make sure it does not look for a
    column label, i.e. the criterium only refers to this cell A2. But this
    does not filter out anything. Can anyone here help me?
    Thanks in advance.

    Margo Guda.

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    In a cell on row 5 enter =--RIGHT(A5,2)
    Put a name (TEST) in the top row
    Select all the data including the top row with names and filter
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Can you explain a little more? I tried this, but not all records that do
    not satisfy the criterium are filtered out. for example, I still see a
    record for 200201200642, even though I am trying to get only numbers
    ending in 53 to show. I seem to still be doing something wrong.

  4. #4
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Try IF(--RIGHT(A5,2)=53,1,0) then filter or sort on the 1s and 0s

  5. #5
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Here is a snapshot of the first few rows of my dataset, containing at
    least one value that was supposed to be filtered out. (see the fourth
    row of figures). Some values are indeed filtered out, but many less than
    should be.

    date/time dir speed gust TEST

    date/time dir speed gust TEST
    200201010053 50 7 *** 53
    200201010153 60 7 ***
    200201010253 60 10 ***
    200201010336 50 9 ***
    200201010453 80 7 ***
    200201010553 70 9 ***
    200201010653 60 9 ***
    200201010853 90 18 ***
    200201010953 100 17 ***
    200201011253 110 15 ***
    200201011353 120 13 ***
    200201011453 110 15 ***

  6. #6
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Do you mean add a column with this formula to the whole dataset? (i.e.
    in a new column, put one in every cell where column A has a number?).
    That would pose a different problem. The file as it now stands is over
    14 MB. I'm not sure if my system can handle it if I do this (There are
    tens of thousands of data to do!)

  7. #7
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    You must copy the formula all the way down the column.
    Not really supersized- yet!

  8. #8
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    You might want to use Tools | Options | Calculations and set calculations to
    manual. Then copy formula. Now press F9 to calculate.
    Remember to turn automatic calculations back on.

  9. #9
    pdberger
    Guest

    RE: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Margo --

    Here's a different approach, because it looks like you want to manipulate
    some wind data in other columns:

    A B C D
    1 12345 2 3
    =IF(RIGHT(TEXT(A1,"0"),2)="45",B1*C1,"")
    2 22345 2 4
    3 12346 2 3

    In case it gets garbled at the end of a line, here is cell D1 again:

    =IF(RIGHT(TEXT(A2,"0"),2)="45",B2*C2,"")

    It says, "Take the number in A2, converting it to a string with a "0000"
    format with no decimal points. Take the right two characters and, if they
    are "45", multiply b1 * c1. If not, leave the cell blank." This would
    require creating a new column. If that's a problem, I suspect you could do
    it either with an array formula of some kind.

    HTH.

    Peter

  10. #10
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    Here is the situation, and the reason why I want to do it with
    filtering: This is supposedly hourly wind data for a number of years,
    one year per sheet. The file is 14 MB. At unpredictable times, there are
    more observations in the hour. Also, some hours are missing. I am
    preparing to do an analysis of the hourly data, and the first thing I
    want to do is build a matrix, one row per day, one column for each hour.
    Thus, I need to weed out the extra observations. Each observation has a
    timestamp, the last four digits of which are the hour and the minutes
    past the hour it was taken. So, 0145 means the observation is for 01:45.
    In that year, most observations were taken at 45 minutes past the hour
    (in this example). But in special cases - that I do not need - there may
    be more observations for that hour, say at 15 and 30 minutes past the
    hour as well. Those I need to weed out. What I had hoped to do is make a
    filter that would take only the records with the 45 timestamp, and
    either filter the database in place, or better, copy the required
    records to a new file. I would then continue to work with the data in
    the new file, where I could build my matrix and do the analyses I need.
    Bernard's suggestion worked - but only to some extent. Some offending
    records would indeed be filtered out, but far from all. His later
    approach, and yours, will swell my file to even unwieldier proportions,
    and I would still have to do the filtering in order to get rid of the
    ballast. And I don't understand why his first stab does not filter out
    every record that does not satisfy the criterion. Can you explain that?

  11. #11
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    I think an Advanced Filter will do what you want easily without copying
    thousands of formulas and without increasing the size of the workbook.

    You've got 2 ways to go with this method:
    1)You can copy the valid records to a new location
    or
    2)You can delete the invalid records (my preference)

    I assumed your data begins in A1

    METHOD 1:
    F1: TestCrit
    F2: =(--RIGHT(A2,2)=53)

    Select your data range (mine is A1:D12000)
    Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
    Check: Copy to another location
    List Range: $A$1:$D$12000
    Criteria Range: $F$1:$F$2
    Copy To: $H1
    Click the [OK] butotn

    All of the valid records, where the date/time values end in 53, will be
    copied to the range beginning with cell H1

    METHOD 2:
    F1: TestCrit
    F2: =(--RIGHT(A2,2)<>53)

    Select the data range (mine is $A$1:$D$12000)
    Data|Filter|Advanced Filter
    Check: Filter the list in-place
    List Range: $A$1:$D$12000
    Criteria Range: $F$1:$F$2
    Click the [OK] butotn

    Only the values that do not end in 53 will be displayed.
    (Check that NO valid rows are displayed)

    Select from the first visible record under A1 down through the last visible
    record.
    Edit|Delete..... (Excel only allows you to delete entire rows when filtering)
    (That will delete those rows)
    Data|Filter|Show....to display the remaining valid rows
    File|Save As...so you don't overwrite the original file.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  12. #12
    Margo Guda
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    I finally found how to do this. Somehow the Right(A2,2) etc criterion
    did not do the trick, but the following did:
    =ISNUMBER(FIND("53",A2,11)). I found this on a website called
    Contextures, in a simpler form (without the third parameter, but I
    needed that because in some instances I would have two possible
    instances of the search figures in the cell). I am confused about why
    this works, though. I thought FIND is a text function; would it handle
    the large numbers as strings? Excel does think they are numbers, but I
    think the filter function does both, somehow? Anyway, I've found a way
    of filtering out the bad data, indeed by, once I had a good working
    filter, copying the good cells to a new range and then cutting them out
    and pasting into a new worksheet. I have not deleted the invalid data
    because they do have some validity (although not for the project I'm
    working on now). So I need them in there.
    Thanks everyone for trying to help.

    Margo Guda.

  13. #13
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: data filtering based on last two digits of large number

    I'm glad you got that to work.

    I'm curious, though:
    You stated that =ISNUMBER(FIND("53",A2,11)) finds the 53 and =Right(A2,2)
    does not. Did you use the criteria formula that was posted?:
    =(--RIGHT(A2,2)=53)

    The double-negative-operators are necessary in that form of the criteria.
    =RIGHT(A2,2) returns the word "53" and you'd need to use this instead:
    =(RIGHT(A2,2)="53")

    =--RIGHT(A2,2) returns the number 53

    If you did use the correct form of the criteria then that seems to indicate
    that the value in A2 does not end in 2 digits. It may have trailing spaces
    or non-printing characters. If you're curious, try this:

    =LEN(A2)

    If that formula returns a number greater than 12 (the length of
    200201010053), you've found the complication.

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  14. #14
    Margo Guda

    Ron Coderre wrote:
    > I'm glad you got that to work.
    >
    > I'm curious, though:
    > You stated that =ISNUMBER(FIND("53",A2,11)) finds the 53 and =Right(A2,2)
    > does not. Did you use the criteria formula that was posted?:
    > =(--RIGHT(A2,2)=53)

    Yes. But I did not say it did not find them - just that some values that
    I wanted to filter out also slipped through, for instance those with 46
    instead of 53. THe 53s were not suppressed.
    > The double-negative-operators are necessary in that form of the criteria.
    > =RIGHT(A2,2) returns the word "53" and you'd need to use this instead:
    > =(RIGHT(A2,2)="53")
    >
    > =--RIGHT(A2,2) returns the number 53
    >
    > If you did use the correct form of the criteria then that seems to indicate
    > that the value in A2 does not end in 2 digits. It may have trailing spaces
    > or non-printing characters. If you're curious, try this:
    >
    > =LEN(A2)

    I still think there is some confusion with the 12-digit number being
    handled as a string by excel, even though it seems to be in number
    format. After some manipulation of the worksheet, it seemed to think the
    number was a string, not a number.
    Anyway since I got this to work, and some other sorting and filtering
    things I tried to do suggest conversion to a string somewhere along the
    way, I'll stick to this method, since it works well and is not too
    consuming of resources.
    I appreciate your input. Thanks for following up, too.

    Signing off,
    Margo Guda.