help! printing locks up excel

  1. #1
    pywhacket
    Guest

    help! printing locks up excel

    Hello, I have a workbook that contains several macros and many formulas. It
    works beautifully until I try to print or do a print preview. Then it locks
    up excel and I have to restart. Any ideas about what is causing this?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Hi pywhacket

    The first thing to check is that your printer driver is up-to-date. I
    believe that the Print Preview is 'managed' by the printer driver, as the
    print is, of course!

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Andy,

    My print driver is up-to-date. I have also gotten other people to try it -
    same problem for all.

    Michele

  4. #4
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Michele

    What happens if you try to print another, simpler sheet? This should
    determine whether the macros may be affecting the printing.

  5. #5
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    The simpler sheets do print.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    OK. I've never had a sheet not print because there were too many formulas on
    it, so I would say that one of your macros is to blame.
    Try setting your macro security to High, then opening the sheet and
    printing. Does that change anything?

  7. #7
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    It still locks up when the macro security is set to high.

  8. #8
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Did you say 'No' to the 'Enable Macros?' question when you opened the sheet?

  9. #9
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Yes, I did say no.

  10. #10
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    OK. The next thing to try is renaming your excel.xlb. Close Excel and do a
    search for it on your PC and rename it to excel.xlbold (or similar). I know
    that this has caused printing problems in the past with some users. Excel
    will recreate an xlb file when you restart the program.

  11. #11
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    It still won't work! This thing is making me nuts!!! I have to get it working
    today. I really appreciate the time you are taking.

  12. #12
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    Try starting Excel in safe mode. From Start/Run . . . browse to Excel.exe
    (probably in C:\program files\microsoft office\office). Select is and before
    you click OK add /s to the end (so it ends excel.exe /s).
    The next step after that is to reregister Excel with Windows Registry, which
    means you need to run "Excel.exe /unregserver" and then "Excel.exe
    /regserver" from the run line in the same way as before (with its path).

  13. #13
    pywhacket
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    I figured it out!!! I have an image - company logo - and it was being
    repasted on it self so it was on the sheets hundreds of times. It overloaded
    excel.

    Thanks for your help!!!

  14. #14
    Guest

    Re: help! printing locks up excel

    I didn't do anything!! You did it yourself!

    Andy. 8=)