conditional fomatting

  1. #1
    Jock W
    Guest

    conditional fomatting

    If cell A2 contains todays date (using the NOW() formula) how do I get the
    contents of A1 to be displayed either in bold and/or different colour?

    tia

    --
    Jock Waddington

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    Hi

    Set the CF of A1 to
    =A2=TODAY()
    using the Formula Is option.

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    Would you like to rephrase. A2 will always displays today's date if it has
    =NOW() unless you have not calculated the worksheet. If you have not
    calculated it, then how do we now the date - a catch 22 situation.

    Maybe you want A1 to be somehow formatted if ITS value is today.
    With A1 selected open the Conditional Formatting dialog and set it to
    Formula Is; =A1=TODAY()
    Click Format button and set a format.

    Any help?
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  4. #4
    Jock W
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    Good point.
    What I'm trying to achieve is when text is entered in A3, todays date
    automatically appears in A2 and the text in A1 is bold.

    Thanks guys.
    --
    Jock Waddington

  5. #5
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    In A2, =IF(ISBLANK(A3,"",TODAY())
    Conditional format A1: select A1 set Formula Is =A3=TODAY(), Format to bold
    best wishes
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

  6. #6
    Jock W
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    Thanks Bernard.
    That works to a point, but the date changes in all cells by using the TODAY
    or NOW functions.
    I would like the dates to remain as they were input and not to be
    automatically updated.
    Cheers.
    --
    Jock Waddington

  7. #7
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    Hi

    You can use Ctrl+; for inputting the date and Ctrl+: for the time instead.
    These put in the current date/time and they remain fixed.

  8. #8
    Jock W
    Guest

    Re: conditional fomatting

    I've conceded to entering the date manually, so that will help.

    Thanks Andy

    --
    Jock Waddington