Combining functions

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    Combining functions

    Hi I would really appreciate some help with this problem. I have a table of
    data that I am using a lookup on, so that I can preset formulae I am also
    using the isblank function to hide the error message when there is no lookup
    value entered. What I'm trying to add to this is something whereby if a
    lookup value that isn't in the table is entered, a blank will be displayed.
    What I have so far is this

    =IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",VLOOKUP(B2,Books,2,FALSE))

    which enters a blank if cell b2 is empty, or the data from the table if
    there is a match, what I want is something to catch when there is no match
    and enter a blank then.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated

    Thanks
    Steve

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Combining functions

    Hi

    The usual way is to enclose your VLOOKUP in an ISERROR formula.
    =IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(B2,Books,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(B2,Books,2,FALSE))
    I haven't tested it, but you get the idea?

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: Combining functions

    This should deal with blanks and errors

    =if(isna(VLOOKUP(B2,Books,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(B2,Books,2,FALSE))