skip blanks

  1. #1
    Robin Krupp
    Guest

    skip blanks

    I am doing a vlookup where i throwing in a "" if there is an error, what im
    trying to do is do a past special and skip blanks but all the values get over
    written . excel must be treating the cell as not blank. even after i paste
    sepcial values in same row im doing vlookupo and then try it . it still
    wants to over write cells where no match was found ... any ideas

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    Because the cell has a formula it will NEVER be seen by Excel as a blank.

    There is probably a way to accomplish what you want, but you'll need to
    provide more info if we are to help you

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    "Blank" doesn't mean: Looks blank.
    It means: Contains no value whatsoever.

    See if this helps:
    Clear the contents of A1, then
    B1: =ISBLANK(A1)

    Now, put an apostrophe in A1
    Next, put "" in A1

    Post back if you still have questions
    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Robin Krupp
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    Im actually using a =if(iserror(vlookup(stufF)),"",vlookup(stuff)) after
    unsucessfully getting the past special skip blanks to work, i took the
    values and pasted them over the formula so the formula didnt exist any more
    if i test the cell for isblank it returns 0

    what i have is a column of number lets say inventory numbers , im looking on
    a secondary table to get any updates, i want to then grab updates and past
    them just where there was anupdate and leave old values intact

  5. #5
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    Your statement of the issue still isn't very clear, but if you are trying to
    update a table then you ought to
    1) create a new table that will be a combination of the original and the
    updated data
    2) use a VLOOKUP that uses the new data if it's there and the old data when
    there's no update, something like:

    =if(iserror(vlookup(Inventory#,NewData,x,0)),vlookup(Inventory#,OldData,x,0),vlookup(Inventory#,NewData,x,0))

  6. #6
    Robin Krupp
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    ron,

    So what is the equivilent of blank

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: skip blanks

    There is no formulaic equivalent of Blank. There are, however, sevarak
    workarounds you might be able to use. Duke suggested one. Here's another.

    For instance, perhaps your formulas could return "EraseMe", instead of "".
    Then you could:
    Copy/paste values that column to a new column.
    Find/Replace "EraseMe" with nothing.
    Then Skip Blanks would work.

    Does that help?

    Regards,