prevent data entry into cell?

  1. #1
    keif
    Guest

    prevent data entry into cell?

    how do i prevent no data entry into a cell? my spreadsheet has some open
    areas that i have "greyed out" cells to indicate no data entry - but how i
    block them to prevent any data entry into the cell?

  2. #2
    Nick Hodge
    Guest

    Re: prevent data entry into cell?

    Lock the cells and protect the worksheet

    Select the cells that you wish to UNLOCK via Format>Cells...>Protection and
    un-check locked.

    Now go to tools>protection>protect sheet... and supply a password is
    desireable. You will now not be able to change the 'locked' cells

    Nick Hodge
    Microsoft MVP - Excel
    Southampton, England
    www.nickhodge.co.uk
    [email protected]HIS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    jiwolf
    Guest

    Re: prevent data entry into cell?

    lock the cells you that want to prevent data entry, then protect the sheet.

  4. #4
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: prevent data entry into cell?

    There are a couple ways you can do this. Either Protect the Worksheet or use
    Data Validation.

    To Protect the worksheet, select each of your cells that you DO want data
    entered into. Format the cells and choose "Unlock" from the Protection tab.
    Then, select Tools --> Protection --> Protect Sheet. You may enter a
    password or not, depending how secure you want the worksheet to be. Now only
    the cells that you unlocked earlier will allow data to be entered.

    To use Data Validation, select the cells that you DO NOT want data entered
    into. Select Validation from the Data Menu. Under Allow, change "Any Value"
    to "Text Length" and set to "Equal to" and 0. Now, any typing will be
    prevented in those cells.

    HTH,
    Elkar