Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

  1. #1
    jlhudson
    Guest

    Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    I want Column A to freeze, but I want to be able to scroll the remaining
    columns up and down. Column A is information, not row titles.

  2. #2

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    Select B1 and then window|freeze panes.

  3. #3
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    I think the OP wants column A to remain static while being able to
    scroll the other columns. I don't think it can be done. At least not
    with Freeze Panes.

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    Columns do not scroll up and down.

    Rows scroll up and down and columns scroll left to right, right to left.

    If you want row 1 to remain in view, select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes.

    If you truly want column A to remain in view, slect B1 and Window>Freeze Panes.

    If you want row 1 and column A to remain in view, select B2 and Window>Freeze
    Panes.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    I still think the question that was asked is whether one can make
    column A static, i.e., show A1 through whichever cell in column A is
    last visible, while scrolling the rows of the remaining columns. Or,
    to put it another way, you'd always see A1 at the top of the sheet but
    might see row 36 of the remaining columns at the top of the sheet.
    Which I still believe cannot be done. You could split the sheet both
    horizontally and vertically, but whatever rows are visible in column A
    will also be visible for the other columns.

    jlhudson, you might want to put your information in one or more of the
    first rows of the sheet and use Freeze Panes below your information
    area. Then your information section is always at the top.

  6. #6
    jlhudson
    Guest

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Exc

    Thanks, Mark. I did want Col. A to remain static and the rows from col. B
    and all columns to the right to be able to scroll up and down. I was not
    able to get that to work, you're right, it can't be done.

  7. #7
    CA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2011

    Re: Can I freeze column A and scroll down the other columns in Excel?

    I recognize that this thread is 5 years old, but I wanted to add that I have the exact same problem (and same difficulty getting people to understand what I meant---although Mark totally got it).

    So, one question and one comment:

    1. Has this impossibility---i.e. freezing column(s) and scrolling down (or, alternately, freezing rows and scrolling across)--become possible in newer versions of Excel?

    2. If not, I'd like to offer the 'bootleg' solution I came up with. It relies on a second, Mac-only application (although there are probably equivalent apps for Windows). The workaround is that I separate the Excel workbook into two worksheets, then enter the column info I want to "hover" into Sheet 2. Then use this application: ScreenFloat (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scree...14528154?mt=12) to snap a pic of the rows/columns that I want to hover. Point is, when you return to the first worksheet, the selected screen area remains visible. The only problem, of course, is that the floating selection is only a picture, so if you want to change it, you have to go back to Sheet 2 and redo the "screenfloat."

    tmm

    PS. I am in no way affiliated with the makers of ScreenFloat, so i'm not writing this to promote their app (which i think is pretty good nonetheless).