assigning points to rankings

  1. #1
    Nan-C
    Guest

    assigning points to rankings

    I have ranked the times of races for 30 participants. The results are in a
    column. I want to display the points given in the next column. The only
    points given are for 1st through 6th place. 1st=6pts, 2nd=5pts, 3rd=4pts,
    4th=3pts, 5th=2pts, 6th=1pt, 7th place through 30th place =0. Times,
    therefore ranks, will change with each race, so this information needs to be
    in every cell in that column.

    NAME TIME RANK PTS
    Joe 12.05 2 5
    Mary 13.00 3 4
    Sue 10.57 1 6
    Sam 15.04 8 0

    I figured out the rank formula, but I can't figure out how to assign the
    points. Can someone help me, please?

  2. #2
    Peo Sjobom
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    You could just use a lookup

    =VLOOKUP(C7,{1,6;2,5;3,4;4,3;5,2;6,1;7,0},2)

    where C7 is the rank

    Peo Sjoblom

    Excel 95 - Excel 2007
    Nothwest Excel Solutions
    www.nwexcelsolutions.com
    if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    Hi!

    Try this:

    Ranks are in column C.

    =IF(C2="","",LOOKUP(C2,{1;2;3;4;5;6;7},{6;5;4;3;2;1;0}))

    Biff

  4. #4
    Nan-C
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    Thank you very much. It worked perfectly. I wish I had asked a few hours ago.

  5. #5
    Nan-C
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    This worked, too. Thanks for your help.

  6. #6
    Verne T
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    I you sort the list for best time first,
    you could then us something like this

    =IF(F6=1,7,IF(G5=0,0,G5-1))

    where rank is in column F and Points are in Column G
    then all you have to enter is a 1 for the top rank entrant
    and the rest is automatic

  7. #7
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    > 1st=6pts, 2nd=5pts, 3rd=4pts,
    > 4th=3pts, 5th=2pts, 6th=1pt,
    > 7th place through 30th place =0.

    Perhaps another option with numbers in A1

    =MOD(14,7+MAX(MIN(A1,7),0))

    --
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis

  8. #8
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    You could also try

    =MAX(0,7-C2)*(C2>0)

    or even

    =(7-C2)*(C2>0)*(C2<7)

    ...but what happens if you have ties? If you have 2 participants tied for 1st place do they both get 6 points or share the 6 points for 1st and the 5 points for 2nd, thereby getting 5½ points each?

  9. #9
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    Dana,

    > =MOD(14,7+MAX(MIN(A1,7),0))

    May I ask why you included the Max() function? The formula seems to work
    just as well without it unless A1 is negative and as A1 is being generated
    by a RANK() function surely it can never be negative.

    Sandy

    [email protected]
    [email protected] with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: assigning points to rankings

    Cause I, ahhhh...never thought about that. :>)0
    Your right! The Rank function would never be negative.
    Thanks for the catch. :>)
    If the op wanted to go this route, then perhaps just: =MOD(14,7+MIN(A1,7))

    Thanks again.
    --
    Dana DeLouis
    Windows XP, Office 2003