how do I use the solver to solve polynomial equations?

  1. #1
    Cameron PE
    Guest

    how do I use the solver to solve polynomial equations?

    I am using Excel 2000

  2. #2
    CJ
    Guest

    RE: how do I use the solver to solve polynomial equations?

    It is possible to use the quadratic formula for quadratic equations of the
    form ax^2+bx+c. Solving for values of x use: (-b +or -(sqroot(b^2-4ac))/2a

  3. #3
    David J. Braden
    Guest

    Re: how do I use the solver to solve polynomial equations?

    Nice in theory, bad idea in practice. Quoting (with slight editing for
    this context) from Press, et al, /Numerical Recipes in C/:
    <quote> If either a or c (or both) are small, then one of the roots will
    involve the subtraction of b from a very nearly equal quantity (the
    discriminant); you will get that root very inaccurately. The correct way
    to compute the roots is
    q = -(b + sgn(b)*sqrt(b^2-4a*c))*0.5

    Then the two roots are
    x1 = q/a and x2 = c/q
    <end quote>

    You can get this straight off of the web by searching for "Numerical
    Recipes in C", then look for Chapter 5. section 6 (Quadratic and Cubic
    Equations), pp 183 ff.

    Harlan Grove and I (and perhaps Jerry Lewis) had a thread on this some
    time back. I wrote the equations above to accommodate VBA to an extent.
    You may be able to rearrange things to make for a snappier function
    call, but you get the idea (I hope).

    Regards,
    Dave Braden

    --
    Please keep response(s) solely within this thread.