Vlookup referencing one column that contains part numbers in both.

  1. #1
    crafty_girl
    Guest

    Vlookup referencing one column that contains part numbers in both.

    I'm seeing LOTS of posts that are close to this issue, but nothing quite the
    same.

    I'm using VLOOKUP to look at a part number column that's being imported. It
    all comes across in text format b/c some part numbers are alphanumeric (ex:
    6H) and some are numeric (ex: 30). Nothing I've seen so far addresses the
    issue b/c if I change the entire column to text I get #N/A back for cells in
    the column that should show a number in them, (ex:30). If I change the entire
    column to numeric format I get the same for cells that contain alphanumeric
    data (ex: 6H).

    Does anyone know of a solution that might address, seeing how there are two
    different types of data formats in the same column being referenced?!!

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup referencing one column that contains part numbers in both.

    Try something like this:

    For ParNumbers in Col_A and a lookup table in Columns C:D

    Set all of the values in the Col_C of the lookup table Text.

    Then use a formula like this:
    B1: =VLOOKUP(A1&"",B:C,2,0)

    Appending an empty string to the numeric P/N's converts them to text.
    Appending an empty string to the text P/N's has no impact.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    crafty_girl
    Guest

    RE: Vlookup referencing one column that contains part numbers in b

    Thanks Ron.

    Unless I'm doing something wrong, that's not doing it. It doesn't make
    things look any different than it did before. MAN this is frustrating!