"NOW" or "TODAY" date function

  1. #1
    Chris
    Guest

    "NOW" or "TODAY" date function

    I have a worksheet that I am trying to create a formula for. What I want is
    once a certain cell has text in it, the next cell populates with the date the
    first cell was entered. I figured that part out by using a combination of
    the "IF" formula and the "NOW" formula. But after that function works, I
    dont want that date to change, because this worksheet will be continually
    working in. When I open the worksheet tomorrow, tomorrow's date will now
    show up in the "date cell" and I want to keep it as the date the text was
    entered, not "NOW" or "TODAY".

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: "NOW" or "TODAY" date function

    You'll need a macro to put a timestamp value in. Start with this site to
    learn the rudiments of where code goes,

    For information on installing the code see
    Getting Started with Macros and User Defined Functions

    then use

    Const WatchRange = "B2:B10"

    If Application.Intersect(Range(WatchRange), Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Now

    End Sub

    which puts the current date & time into col C next to any change in B2:B10.
    Change the WatchRange text to reflect the address of the range you want to use

  3. #3

    Re: "NOW" or "TODAY" date function

    J.E. McGimpsey shows a way to put a time stamp on the same row when something
    changes:

    You can read more about events at:
    Chip Pearson's site:

    David McRitchie's site: