vlookup with linked cell references

  1. #1
    JAB
    Guest

    vlookup with linked cell references

    vlookup is returning incorrect information some of the time. The initial cell
    it is looking up is a linked word. Is this what is causing the problem? If
    so, can it be fixed?

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references

    Can you post your code?

  3. #3
    JAB
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references

    The formula is:
    vlookup(d2,'Summary Data'!$b$15:$c$45,2)

    D2 is a cell that contains data that is linked from another sheet and is a
    word, e.g. Finance, Corporate Admin.

    The Summary Data sheet has the words typed in column B (and they match
    exactly what is in the source document for D2), and an amount in column C.

    I am not getting "N/A", I am getting incorrect results returned for the
    majority, but not all, of the cells.

  4. #4
    Duke Carey
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references

    Is your Summary table sorted? the VLOOKUP function expects the table to be
    sorted unless you add a final argument of FALSE or 0. If not sorted you'll
    get incorrect results. If it IS sorted, change your formula to

    =vlookup(d2,'Summary Data'!$b$15:$c$45,2,0)

    and it will throw an #N/A error if the value in D2 isn't in the table. That
    will allow you to figure out why you're getting the error

  5. #5
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references

    Try:

    =vlookup(d2,'Summary Data'!$b$15:$c$45,2,false)

    This should give exact match.

  6. #6
    JAB
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references

    Problem Solved - I will use False in the future!

  7. #7
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: vlookup with linked cell references