Data Validation - Drop Down

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    Data Validation - Drop Down

    How can I "disable" a Drop down list (but still have it in use if the
    overall Sheet protection is off)?

    I thought it would work via the Sheet Protection, but my sheet is protected
    (as are the cells locked where the Drop down is) but I still get the option
    of picking from the DV Drop down

    Thanks

  2. #2
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Drop Down

    Hi John,

    I suspect that drop down cell was unlocked before sheet protection was
    applied.

    To start over unprotect the sheet and select the drop down cell. Under
    Format > Cells > Protection > chect the Locked box > OK.

    Now protect the sheet under Tools > Protect Sheet.

    I hope I steered you correctly.

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    John
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Drop Down

    Thanks Howard

    From reading back in the Group, I don't think you can actually protect a
    cell from entry with DV, thus I used the formula below as a work around,
    esentially if No is in cell AT1 then the DV is 'unlocked' anything else mean
    its locked from selection

    =OFFSET(Times,0,0,(COUNTA(Times,"<>")-1)*($AT$1="No"),1)

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation - Drop Down

    In Excel 2000 and earlier versions, you can change the selection in a
    locked cell's data validation dropdown, if the list is from a range on
    the worksheet.

    If the list is typed in the data validation dialog box, the selection
    can't be changed.

    In Excel 2002 and later versions, neither type of dropdown list can be
    changed if the cell is locked and the sheet is protected.

    This MSKB article has information on the previous behaviour:

    XL97: Error When Using Validation Drop-Down List Box
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=157484

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures