Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

  1. #1
    tjh
    Guest

    Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

    Hello,

    I am trying to use the autofill feature to drag the letters for sequential
    numbering/lettering.

    It works for numbers 1, 2 ,3 then automatically drags in 4, 5, 6. But for
    letters it is just copying.

    For instance, I have

    A in cell A1
    B in cell A2
    C in cell A3
    and then I want to highlight and drag down so that
    D is in A4
    E is in A5
    F is in A6

    Do I need to change an option to get this to work?

    Thank you,

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

    Highlight cells A1 to A3 and then drag down.

    or

    Highlight A1, then hold Ctrl and drag down.

    Both should work.

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

    Enter the sequence in Tools/Options/Custom Lists (e.g., A,B,C,...,Z)

  4. #4
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

    tjh,

    Tools/Options custom lists...

    Make one A thru Z, and modify as needed...

    Beege

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Auto Fill/Sequential Numbering

    Oops ... misread you posting so ignore my crass reply!