calling variable within string

  1. #1

    calling variable within string

    i am a novice in VBA programming. I am looking to call a variable
    within a string.

    for example

    a = "E13" (Cell reference)
    Range("a: L30").select (Giving me error because variable a cannot
    be called in within the Range)

    I intend to select cells in the range E 13 to L 30. Any way to make
    this work? Basically the starting cell of this range is dynamic and I
    want to select that range.

    Thanks,
    Rachit

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: calling variable within string

    Hi Rachit,

    range(a & ":l30").Select

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  3. #3

    Re: calling variable within string

    thanks a lot... also another question..

    if i know that a cell row is i and cell column is j (i and j are
    variables), how do i get it in the regular cell address
    (Alphabet-number) format..like i=5, j= 13, how do i get E 13
    and assign it as

    a = "e13"

    thanks again!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: calling variable within string

    Cells(i,j).Value = "a"

    BTW if i is row and =5, and j is column and 13, then you are talking M5 not
    E13.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: calling variable within string

    Hi Rachit,

    cells(i,j).address(false,false)

    Please start a new thread for a new question
    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  6. #6

    Re: calling variable within string

    i think i have not put it correctly. I do not want to assign "a" to
    E13, rather i want to assign the string E13 which is obtained through
    i=13, j=5 (i and j are variables) to a variable called 'a'.

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: calling variable within string

    Well in that case you want Niek's alternative solution, but you will still
    get M5 with those variable values, not E13. If i is row it should be 13 not
    5!

  8. #8
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: calling variable within string

    Absolutely right. The order in the worksheet is Column, Row, (in the A1 Reference style; not in the R1C1 reference style) and in
    all VBA functions it is Row, Column.
    I don't even feel dumb anymore is I confuse them once more!

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  9. #9
    Natarajan
    Guest

    Re: splitting a concatenated string into separate rows

    How can I use Excel to achieve the following

    1) I wish to split a concatenated string into a column of separate characters

    “ThisIsText”

    should become..

    “t

    t”.

    2) After this I wish to display a predefined row beside every character

    t “xyz” “x1w” “234.1w”

    h “sdf” “w21” “12.5s”

    i “wer” “we2” “123.e”

    ..