how do you turn an email address list into an Excel csv or txt file?

  1. #1
    Weber1
    Guest

    how do you turn an email address list into an Excel csv or txt file?

    Hi, all--I'm a novice, so forgive me if this is a ridiculously simple
    question: I have an email list in Word that consists of email
    addresses, in which each address is separated by a comma. I would like
    to convert it to an Excel file, specifically a csv. or txt. file in
    which each email address will occupy its own row. I want to end up
    with a long row going down column A consisting of email addresses. Can
    anyone enlighten me as to how to do this? Many thanks, Weber1

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: how do you turn an email address list into an Excel csv or txt file?

    One way would be to use data>text to columns and then transpose. or a macro.

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Richard Buttrey

    On 5 May 2006 08:04:07 -0700, "Weber1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, all--I'm a novice, so forgive me if this is a ridiculously simple
    >question: I have an email list in Word that consists of email
    >addresses, in which each address is separated by a comma. I would like
    >to convert it to an Excel file, specifically a csv. or txt. file in
    >which each email address will occupy its own row. I want to end up
    >with a long row going down column A consisting of email addresses. Can
    >anyone enlighten me as to how to do this? Many thanks, Weber1

    What does the data in word look like, and how many names in a

    name1,name2,name3

    or

    name1,
    name2,
    name3,

    etc.,

    or

    name1,name2,name3
    name4,name5,name6

    In general, one technique would be to get all the names into a single
    row in Excel, then use Data-->Text to Columns to split the individual
    names into separate columns, then if you want the names arranged
    vertically in a single column, use Range-->Transpose.

    HTH
    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  4. #4
    Weber1
    Guest

    Re: how do you turn an email address list into an Excel csv or txt file?

    Thanks for replying Richard and Don. As far as what kind of Word file,
    it's just a Word document page that contains the addresses one after
    another ie. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    It just goes on and on with no breaks. When I tried to paste it into
    Excel it placed all the text (that is, all the email addresses) into a
    single cell.

  5. #5
    Richard Buttrey

    On 7 May 2006 12:27:48 -0700, "Weber1" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thanks for replying Richard and Don. As far as what kind of Word file,
    >it's just a Word document page that contains the addresses one after
    >another ie. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
    >It just goes on and on with no breaks. When I tried to paste it into
    >Excel it placed all the text (that is, all the email addresses) into a
    >single cell.

    Ah, OK

    This works for me.

    First save the Word file as a plain text (*.txt) file.
    Then open the file in Excel and choose the 'delimited option with the
    comma as the delimiter.

    This will bring all the records into different columns. Then select
    all the columns of data and Edit ---->Copy then Edit ---?PasteSpecial
    Transpose.

    That should leave you with all the addresses listed in a single
    column.

    HTH

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

  6. #6
    Weber1
    Guest

    Re: how do you turn an email address list into an Excel csv or txt file?

    Thanks. When I opened a new worksheet and did the "paste special" and
    then transpose-it worked!--W.