Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

  1. #1
    Lowkey
    Guest

    Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

    I have a file I exported from another program so that I can work with it and
    the numbers export as text. I need to convert the text to numbers so that I
    can count, sum, average, etc. I tried selecting and formatting to a variety
    of different number formats and even copying and paste special as value and
    number formats. Can anyone suggest a solution?

  2. #2
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

    You could use a helper column and enter the formula:

    =VALUE(A1)

    and copy this down. You could fix the values using <copy>, Edit | Paste
    Special | Values | OK, and then paste the values to overwrite the
    originals.

    Another way is to enter a 0 into a blank cell, then <copy> that cell,
    then highlight all the cells that you want to convert and Edit | Paste
    Special | Add | OK then <Esc>.

    Yet another way is to highlight the column(s) with numbers in, then
    Data | Text-To-Columns and on the first panel click <Finish>

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Lowkey
    Guest

    Re: Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

    Paste special doesn't work for some reason as it was one of the first things
    I tried, but I got there with Text to columns. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Converting Alphanumeric numbers to Numeric

    You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

    Pete