Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

  1. #1
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi All,

    Find Multiple instances of Numeric Criterion in Row & Return To a Single
    Column.

    I have a Dynamic Named Range "Data" spanning 10 Columns and many Rows.
    Each Row may contain duplicates of the Numeric Criterion.

    I would like to find ALL instances of a specific Numeric Criterion across
    each single Row in the Dynamic Range "Data" and have the Results returned to
    a New Sheet in a single column.

    NEW Sheet:
    The Numeric Criterion is housed in G5.
    The matched criterion should be returned to the New Sheet starting at G7.
    Duplicate instances in the same Row should ALL be returned to the same cell
    in Column G on the New Sheet.

    Sample Data Layout:
    Columns I J K L M N O P Q R
    Row No.76 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1
    Row No.77 2 2 3 2 1 2 2 0 0 0
    Row No.78 3 3 3 3 3 0 3 0 3 0

    Scenario:
    Looking for Numeric Criterion 1 (one).

    Expected Results - New Sheet:
    Row No.7 Column G (Cell G7) 1111111
    Row No.8 Column G (Cell G8) 1

    In Row 76 of the Sample Data ALL seven Numeric Criterion of 1 (one) should be
    returned to the same cell G7.
    In Row 77 of the Sample Data there is only one Numeric Criterion of 1 and it
    should be returned to cell G8.

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi!

    Here's one way:

    Use a helper column and add it to your dynamic range. This would be column
    S.

    Enter this formula is S76 and copy down to the end of your data:

    =REPT(Sheet2!G$5,COUNTIF(I76:R76,Sheet2!G$5))

    On the "new" sheet enter this formula in G7 as an array using the key combo
    of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    =INDEX(Data,SMALL(IF(INDEX(Data,,11)<>"",ROW(Data)-76+1),ROWS($1:1)),11)

    Copy down until you get #NUM! errors meaning all the matching data has been
    exhausted.

    Biff

  3. #3
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi Biff,

    Thank you for reply.

    Your solution does work. However, I need to find numerous different Numeric
    Criterion (that will be returned to different Columns) and this will add many
    extra Helper columns to the Dynamic Range "Data", is there another solution
    or workaround possible.

    Further assistance much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Sam

  4. #4
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Is the source data in your dynamic range 'Data' made up of only single
    digits?

  5. #5
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    I think Laurent Longre's MOREFUNC.XLL add-in has a "concatenate if"
    function that might work for this but I've never used it.

    http://xcell05.free.fr/english/

    > Hi Biff,
    >
    > Thank you for reply.
    >
    > Your solution does work. However, I need to find numerous different
    > Numeric
    > Criterion (that will be returned to different Columns) and this will add
    > many
    > extra Helper columns to the Dynamic Range "Data", is there another
    > solution
    > or workaround possible.
    >
    > Further assistance much appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Sam
    >
    > Biff wrote:
    >>Hi!

    >>Here's one way:

    >>Use a helper column and add it to your dynamic range. This would be column
    >>S.

    >>Enter this formula is S76 and copy down to the end of your data:

    >>=REPT(Sheet2!G$5,COUNTIF(I76:R76,Sheet2!G$5))

    >>On the "new" sheet enter this formula in G7 as an array using the key
    >>combo
    >>of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

    >>=INDEX(Data,SMALL(IF(INDEX(Data,,11)<>"",ROW(Data)-76+1),ROWS($1:1)),11)

    >>Copy down until you get #NUM! errors meaning all the matching data has
    >>been
    >>exhausted.

    >>Biff
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>

    >>[quoted text clipped - 38 lines]
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Sam

  6. #6
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi Domenic,

    >Is the source data in your dynamic range 'Data' made up of only single digits?

    No, it does include double digits.

    Cheers,
    Sam

  7. #7
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi Biff,

    Thank you for assitance.

    Cheers,
    Sam

  8. #8
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    I can't wait to see this one!

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    I hope it's possible?

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Biff wrote:
    >I can't wait to see this one!
    >
    >Biff
    >
    >> Is the source data in your dynamic range 'Data' made up of only single
    >> digits?

    >[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Sam

  10. #10
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    First, define the following names/references...

    Select G7

    Insert > Name > Define

    Name: Array1

    Refers to:

    =ROW(INDEX(Sheet2!$A:$A,1):INDEX(Sheet2!$A:$A,COLUMNS(Data)))

    Click Add

    Name: Array2

    Refers to:

    =(MMULT(--(Data=Sheet2!G$5),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Data)^0))>0)+0

    Click Add

    Name: Array3

    Refers to:

    =10^(Array1*LEN(Sheet2!G$5+1))/10^LEN(Sheet2!G$5+1)

    Click Add

    Name: RowIdx

    Refers to:

    =SMALL(IF(MMULT(--(Data=Sheet2!G$5),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Data)^0)),ROW(Data)-
    MIN(ROW(Data))+1),ROWS(Sheet2!$G$7:$G7))

    Click Ok

    Note that I've assumed that Sheet2 will contain the results data.
    Change the sheet reference accordingly. Now, try the following formula,
    which needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

    G7, copied down and across:

    =IF(ROWS($G$7:$G7)<=SUM(Array2),SUBSTITUTE(SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(IF(INDEX(Data
    ,RowIdx,0)=G$5,G$5+1,0),Array1),Array3),G$5+1,G$5),"")

    Hope this helps!

  11. #11
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi Domenic,

    Thank you so much. Absolutely Brilliant!!

    Is there any chance that the Results returned to Sheet2 can mimic the Row
    position of the Source Data?

    Using the Sample Data Layout;
    Row 76 translates to Row 7, 1st Row of Results - Sheet2.
    Row 77 translates to Row 8, 2nd Row of Results - Sheet2.
    Row 78 translates to Row 9, 3rd Row of Results - Sheet2.

    So, if I was looking for Criterion 3, the first Result returned should be
    from Row 78 to Sheet2 Row 9, the 3rd Row on Sheet2 (Results). All Results to
    be returned to their corresponding Row Position on Sheet2.

    Sample Data Layout:
    Columns I J K L M N O P Q R
    Row No.76 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1
    Row No.77 2 2 3 2 1 2 2 0 0 0
    Row No.78 3 3 3 3 3 0 3 0 3 0

    Cheers,
    Sam

  12. #12
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    In that case, we'll only need the following references for the defined
    names...

    Select G7

    Insert > Name > Define

    Array1:

    =ROW(INDEX(Sheet2!$A:$A,1):INDEX(Sheet2!$A:$A,COLUMNS(Data)))

    Array2:

    =INDEX(Data,ROWS(Sheet2!$G$7:$G7),0)

    Array3:

    =10^(Array1*LEN(Sheet2!G$5+1))/10^LEN(Sheet2!G$5+1)

    Then, use the following formula instead...

    G7, copied down and across:

    =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(G$5,Array2,0)),SUBSTITUTE(SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(IF(Array2=G
    $5,G$5+1,0),Array1),Array3),G$5+1,G$5),"")

  13. #13
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Sam says: Absolutely Brilliant!!

    I say: Did you expect anything less?

    Wow! You don't mind if I put this in my stash, do you?

  14. #14
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Hi Domenic,

    Superb! And as Biff said, WOW!

    Thank you for your time and all your help.

    Cheers,
    Sam

  15. #15
    Sam via OfficeKB.com
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    >Biff wrote:
    >Sam says: Absolutely Brilliant!!
    >Biff says: Did you expect anything less?

    No Way!

    Cheers,
    Sam

  16. #16
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Biff" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You don't mind if I put this in my stash, do you?

    By all means... I should probably put this in my stash as well... <VBG>

  17. #17
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Find Multiple instances of Single Criterion in Row & Return To a Single Col

    Brilliant!

    --
    Peo