Re: Search using multiple worksheet

  1. #1
    gloss
    Guest

    Re: Search using multiple worksheet

    Hi

    Does anyone have any idea how I can do a search and extract data from a
    sparate worksheet

    for example

    search ("smi*", 'anotherWorksheet.xls'!Users)

    does not recurse through the column in the second worksheet

    what am i doing wrong?

    Any help is much appreciated

  2. #2
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search using multiple worksheet

    See reply in .Misc

    Biff

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    gloss
    Guest

    Re: Search using multiple worksheet

    Still having the same problem

    search("mat*",'anotherExcel.xls'!Sheet1'!$E$12)

    works but is inefficient for what I want and because I'll be applying this
    to multiple fields

    search("mat*",'anotherExcel.xls'!Sheet1'!$E$1:$E$12) ...*

    doesn't work, I initally tried the point method suggested and is exactly the
    same formula as above in ...* (except that I grouped my data)

    I'm new to excel, only started today, and could have misunderstood by what
    you meant by point to the reference (the easier method) could you please
    elaborate

    Thank you for your help

  4. #4
    Biff
    Guest

    Re: Search using multiple worksheet

    Hi!

    What exactly are you trying to do?

    You don't need to use a wildcard with SEARCH. SEARCH returns the number of
    the character at which a specific character or text string is first found.

    For example:

    A1 = material......=SEARCH("mat",A1) = 1
    A2 = raw material......=SEARCH("mat",A2) = 5
    A3 = format......=SEARCH("mat",A3) = 4
    A4 = style......=SEARCH("mat",A4) = #VALUE!

    >'anotherExcel.xls'!Sheet1'!$E$12

    If you're referencing another file the correct syntax is:

    [anotherExcel.xls]Sheet1!$E$12

    When I said point to the references what I meant was use your mouse:

    Start typing the formula:

    =SEARCH("mat",

    When you reach the point in the formula to enter the reference use your
    mouse and navigate to the other file (have the other file open) Sheet1 and
    select cell E12. This way Excel will automatically insert the path for you..

    My guess is that you really don't want to use SEARCH but I need a better
    explanation of EXACTLY what you're trying to do. Are you wanting to count
    how many cells contain the substring "mat" ?

  5. #5
    gloss
    Guest

    Re: Search using multiple worksheet